possible vacuum tube shortage

WTM

kind of looks like a glass dildo that plugs into the bottom of a guitar or amp chasis or a hi-fi stereo amp that produces those luscious tones Fender, Marshall, etc are known for.

a tid bit of history. did you know that AT&T designed the power output section of the circuit used by Leo Fender for the Bassman amp? they also made the vacuum tube obscure in the late 70’s by inventing the transistor.

Steverino

Supporter
kind of looks like a glass dildo that plugs into the bottom of a guitar or amp chasis or a hi-fi stereo amp that produces those luscious tones Fender, Marshall, etc are known for.

a tid bit of history. did you know that AT&T designed the power output section of the circuit used by Leo Fender for the Bassman amp? they also made the vacuum tube obscure in the late 70’s by inventing the transistor.
I have one of the old RCA Tube Manuals as I built amps for a while and did restorations. I still have some used tubes laying about for guitar amps and some for radios and RF amps. The tube market is doing ok, there are other manufactures for audio tubes than China. https://shop.ehx.com/category/tubes-vacuum/tubes/. Radio not so much unless Electro Harmonix decides to work that market. But RF amps are going solid state anyway, there's no tuning when you change frequencies and bands. Just switch and go.

Yugoslavia and Russia still make vacuum tubes - the Russians never stopped as they use them in military aircraft as a tube operates at high voltages that could withstand a nuclear pulse better than a transistor or IC which work on very low voltages.

WTM

I have one of the old RCA Tube Manuals as I built amps for a while and did restorations. I still have some used tubes laying about for guitar amps and some for radios and RF amps. The tube market is doing ok, there are other manufactures for audio tubes than China. https://shop.ehx.com/category/tubes-vacuum/tubes/. Radio not so much unless Electro Harmonix decides to work that market. But RF amps are going solid state anyway, there's no tuning when you change frequencies and bands. Just switch and go.

Yugoslavia and Russia still make vacuum tubes - the Russians never stopped as they use them in military aircraft as a tube operates at high voltages that could withstand a nuclear pulse better than a transistor or IC which work on very low voltages.
yeah i have almost all of the RCA manuals including the rare 1st edition blue book and just about all of the service manuals pertaining to guitar amps. lol i built my first radio when i was 14. i did work for my step dad’s guitar shop off and on and worked on my uncle’s rig who was a studio steel guitar picker for several years.

anyhoo, mike matthews is the one who put out the warning. he owns JJ electronics and EHX.
he said lead times where 6 months now and resellers all over the world are starting having trouble sourcing amp tubes.

Steverino

Supporter
yeah i have almost all of the RCA manuals including the rare 1st edition blue book and just about all of the service manuals pertaining to guitar amps. lol i built my first radio when i was 14. i did work for my step dad’s guitar shop off and on and worked on my uncle’s rig who was a studio steel guitar picker for several years.

anyhoo, mike matthews is the one who put out the warning. he owns JJ electronics and EHX.
he said lead times where 6 months now and resellers all over the world are starting having trouble sourcing amp tubes.
Same with amateur radio tubes. What you can find are stupid priced and ChiCom. I was lucky to get some of the original Svetlanas for my 2 572B amps and I have some ChiCom 3-500Z for a Kenwood amp. I scored a Heathkit SB1000 in the box never assembled with an Eimac 3-500Z. Its like the one I had back in the day but right now is down due to a relay issue.

I bought a library full of guitar amp books and went to 2 of Weber's seminars + took his online course, have his videos and books too. I have two homemade amps I built and use at church. Had a lot if fun doing the Fender restores. I financed the stuff with restored amp sales. But that dried up with more people doing their own.

WTM

Same with amateur radio tubes. What you can find are stupid priced and ChiCom. I was lucky to get some of the original Svetlanas for my 2 572B amps and I have some ChiCom 3-500Z for a Kenwood amp. I scored a Heathkit SB1000 in the box never assembled with an Eimac 3-500Z. Its like the one I had back in the day but right now is down due to a relay issue.

I bought a library full of guitar amp books and went to 2 of Weber's seminars + took his online course, have his videos and books too. I have two homemade amps I built and use at church. Had a lot if fun doing the Fender restores. I financed the stuff with restored amp sales. But that dried up with more people doing their own.
youll appreciate these then. a couple of my old amps.

a silverface super six reverb. i pulled two output tubes and disconnected the bottom speaker set and pretty much played it like that for years. my uncle wagged this 98 pound beast all over the southeast until he bought a smaller peavey solid state amp.
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

a music man sixty five. one of the coolest amps ive played through. like a twin reverb with a lucious reverb and a cool tremolo circuit that sounds like a leslie with the speed turned past 5.

Attachments

Steverino

Supporter
Really nice!! Love the vintage stuff. I did a repair on a Music Man for a friend, it had solid state and tube stages and for the life of me I can't remember which was which. Maybe tube output and solid state front end? They were quite a nice sounding amplifier.

These are my two home brews - both are in their church settings. Reverb 66 is based on the 66 Princeton Reverb with about 5 or 6 mods to the circuit. The other is a Marshall 18 watt clone. I put in both an EL84 and also a 6V6GT output section - switchable. The transformer can't handle both together so its one or the other and different tones with each.

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackBelt

Thanks for the heads up on tube shortage. I have an extra set for my Marshalls, but I need to re-tube one of them now and like to have extras. I will be calling TubeDepot this morning.
Thanks again WTM.

Latest posts