Pondering

gtk

Staff member
I have a Browning Abolt 300 wsm with a Zeiss 3x9-50 Conquest scope on it. Mainly use this for elk & bean field hunting, and love everything about the gun. The only thing I wish was diff was I want more magnification on the scope. The Zeiss is super clear, and great at low light, but this year when I shot my elk @ 425 yards, I was really wishing I had higher magnification.

I have somehow acquired some scopes, one in particular a Vortex Diamondback 4x12-40. I was thinking of putting the Vortex on my browning, but I hate to pull that zeiss off.

Would you 1) Put the vortex on the Browning & sell the zeiss, or 2) buy a backup 300 wsm and put the vortex on that gun ?

I don't "need" any more guns, except having a backup elk rifle woudl be nice :)
I didn't "need" any scopes either, but I keep buying them

TNRifleman

That is an original Diamondback so I would not put it on the 300WSM. Recoil wise, I think it would be fine but those original DB's do not have much eye relief. I would sell the scope and move on if it were me.

DaveB

I now have two 300 WinMags and one 300 WSM.

I would not go to Elk Country without a backup 300. That's just me, YMMV.

What I tried to do is make both 300's shoot moa using same load. Did not work, not even close.

I would get an X-Bolt in 300 WinMag and something in the 4-16 range.

gtk

Staff member
TNRifleman":18nl8yhn said:
That is an original Diamondback so I would not put it on the 300WSM. Recoil wise, I think it would be fine but those original DB's do not have much eye relief. I would sell the scope and move on if it were me.
Are you the one I bought the scope from (i bought it from someone on here) ? The eye relief seems fine on this scope.

if i get another gun, its going to be the 300 wsm so I can use same bullets, providing i can get them to shoot the same as DaveB pointed out. I guess I just need to get another browning abolt, and then sell a few of the scopes i have collected and get a diff scope..

wish i could find another older abolt in 300 wsm , like the one i have now..

TNRifleman

gtk":2yfg6yfm said:
TNRifleman":2yfg6yfm said:
Are you the one I bought the scope from (i bought it from someone on here) ? The eye relief seems fine on this scope.

if i get another gun, its going to be the 300 wsm so I can use same bullets, providing i can get them to shoot the same as DaveB pointed out. I guess I just need to get another browning abolt, and then sell a few of the scopes i have collected and get a diff scope..

wish i could find another older abolt in 300 wsm , like the one i have now..

Nope, not me. I don't believe I've ever owned that model. The original Diamondback has about 3" of eye relief which is not terrible but also not close to the 3.75"-4" of your Zeiss or he newer DIamondback HP's. If you're good with the eye relief then I would throw it on the WSM you have or a new one you get.

280longshot

I would keep your current scope with 9x power should be plenty for elk at that distance. If you feel like you need more power then I would definitely step up to a much better scope than the Vortex DB.
The higher your power the less eye relief you'll have and the heavier the scope will be.
I like the Zeiss Conquest, the eye relief stays the same on 3 or 9, constant eye relief.

gtk

Staff member
thx folks.. i just hate to have this fairly decent scope just sitting around without it being on a gun :) i also have a vortex 3x9-40 crossfire ii, just sitting around.. i may put it on an older thurty thurty i have..

i have a nikon buckmaster 3x9-40 on my abolt 270. sounds like i might should take that off & put the vortex 4-12 on the 270...

i'd like to have a higher power scope, with a 44 mil objective for my elk guns.

GOODWIN

Don't think you'll notice any advantage with the 12x especially with the diamond back. I got rid of a couple for poor eye relief and less clarity. The conquest is far superior all around. Believe zeiss will send you a target turret for it as well. Lots of folks including myself have gotten hung up on higher magnification only for other loosing other scope qualities. But hey u may like it on there. Give it a try in different conditions and see how u like it then make a decision.

WGK

Personally there is no way I would sell the Zeiss. I own several and I wouldn't part with a single one.

gtk

Staff member
Sat eve I took my 300 wsm to the club and sat in our bean field. I wished i had the higher power then, because a whitetail deer is pretty dang small at 400 yards in a 3x9. Granted, the scope was clear as a bell , but i ended up missing..

i'll prob just take the vortex and put on my 270, and sell the other scopes and put toward another ziess ..

huntinkev

Easy...buy a backup gun. Do you need a better excuse to buy a gun? :) I can make be real convincing on matters like this when explaining it to my wife why I need another gun or scope..or both.

Latest posts