Pole Beans and Corn

gil1

I've never done this before. I planted about four bean seeds around each corn stalk, allowing for bad germination and thinning the weaker plants out. They pretty much all ended up germinating and all being strong bean plants.

Do I need to pull up all but one of the bean plants per corn stalk? Since I've never done this, I don't know if all these bean plants will choke out the corn or even have it fall over under the weight of several bean plants.

Next year, I want to try adding squash into the mix, an old Native American technique called "The Three Sisters."

mike243

Id let them ride,corn is plenty big & the added support of the vines might keep them uprite in a big storm.

bigtex

I always plant some beans in with my corn. But, I just drop a seed or two around every other corn stalk.
I don't know what type of bean you planted but if I planted that many white half runners around my corn it would be pretty crowded.
Probably won't hurt anything the way you have it now though.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The 3 sisters had several purposes. The beans helped support the corn and the corn gave the beans something to climb on.The squash was a deterrent for wildlife. The bristles on the leaves and vines would send deer looking for other food to put in their soft mouths.The nitrogen from the roots of the beans also helped feed the corn and squash.I usually put 3 bean seeds around each stalk following the 3 sisters.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
It would be a good time to do it Bama. The corn is big enough to support the beans. Even after you harvest the corn the stalks will support the beans into the fall.

gil1

Just as I had feared, I planted too many bean plants for each corn stalk. The weight is too much for the stalks. Oh well, I'll know better next year.

gil1

BamaProud said:
Bummer.

My beans are just coming up. I think I planted 2 at each stalk.

Although most of my corn turned out very nicely, the stalks were spindly this year for some reason. I wouldn't go over 2 per stalk, but I bet a good stalk could handle 2.

Latest posts