Plumbers

Pilchard

I have water coming out from a drain line on the outside of my house. It’s connected to the valve circled in this picture that I believe is there in case the line has too much pressure. What say the tnDeer plumbers? Call a professional? Do these valves regularly fail? Can I adjust it or is it possible it’s working properly and my pressure valve on the right has failed and is allowing too much water into the house?

67C14F8A-993D-411D-BA60-4EB696928E5C.jpeg

Carlos

Is that valve on the outgoing side of your water heater? On the hot line?

Carlos

I'm not certain, but I believe this (item circled in yellow) may be some sort of pressure relief device.

Basically there's an issue with pressure building up inside the water heater. The municipal water supply has a very strong backflow prevention device. So, your water heater fills with cold water, then when it's heated to 130 degrees, it expands. The backflow prevention device in the incoming side will never allow the water pressure go that direction, so a little needs to escape on the outgoing side.

Basically, 50 gallons of water at 55 degrees takes up a lot less room than the same amount at 130 degrees. Does that make sense?

There's a device that's basically a can with an expandable bladder inside, that works to relieve the pressure without wasting water. I'll see if I can look one up, I've installed quite a few of them.

Btw, the item circled in black doesn't need replaced imo. That's the pressure regulator, doesn't have anything to do with the problem you described.

Carlos

Here's what you probably need if you want to stop the little bit of water that's being released.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-194137_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-194137_Chrome.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220817-194105_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-194105_Chrome.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 20

Pilchard

I agree with you Carlos. The guy that looked at it isn’t actually a plumber. He owns a leak detection service. He gave me the name of a plumber who is coming Friday.

I sent plumber the pic and described the problem and he said something similar to what you described above.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hduke86

One comment. The water draining out is cold…. Not hot… and I have a tankless water heater.
Just bulldoze the house down and start over lol, I got your pm but I was at the oncologist with my neighbor when I saw it. Thanks again brother. Now we’re watching Gunsmoke for the millionth time lol

Carlos

One comment. The water draining out is cold…. Not hot… and I have a tankless water heater.
That's strange, and makes me wonder what's going on with it.
Let us know what the plumber says, if you get a chance. If it's natural gas or propane the water could be moisture from combustion.

waterman

Supporter
looks kinda like an old vaccum breaker. is the cpvc coming off it a drain line. lot of old plumbing systems use these

MUP

Supporter
Have you hooked a pressure gauge to your inside faucets to see what reading you're getting? Sounds like the pressure reducer has gone bad as my first guess. I've had some experience with this issue before, several thousand $$$ worth.

Steve AKA "Water Boy" 😩

Pilchard

looks kinda like an old vaccum breaker. is the cpvc coming off it a drain line. lot of old plumbing systems use these
Yes. That’s what the plumber identified this as. He took it off and capped the line.

He had an emergency call so he couldn’t fix the other issues until he can get back. My pressure reducer has failed and I’m at 120 psi.

Latest posts