Planting trees ?? Which and where

Tn_Va_Hunter

Forgive me. But I know this is in the wrong forum and will get more traction here. But how do you guys decide which trees and fruit trees to plant on your land and where to place them ? I recently purchased 30'acres. While it's not much it's a lot to me and has been a life long dream to own my own place. About 5 is fields chopped up. One side is straight up and down. Surround by laurel thicket and National Forrest. The other land owners boardering me doesn't hunt or allow it. They have cattle on one side. No crop land. Just cut for hay. I have 2 creeks going through the bottom and one side. I do plan on some food plots. But would like to draw the deer and keep
Them as close as I can.

Thanks

pass-thru

I would want to plant plots and trees on the side away from the National Forest.

When you are planting trees you need to evaluate the specific location to determine if it is suitable for the tree being planted, with regard to light, water, soil etc.

You can create cover within a few years with pines, but fruit and nut trees will take many years to produce. I would want to plant cover on the edge of open areas to block the view from public land, if it were my place.

Tn_Va_Hunter

pass-thru":32cx1hxp said:
I would want to plant plots and trees on the side away from the National Forest.

When you are planting trees you need to evaluate the specific location to determine if it is suitable for the tree being planted, with regard to light, water, soil etc.

You can create cover within a few years with pines, but fruit and nut trees will take many years to produce. I would want to plant cover on the edge of open areas to block the view from public land, if it were my place.

Thanks for your advice !!

MickThompson

If you're next to the National forest, more trees is the last thing I'd want.

What are you managing for here? Just wildlife, or hoping to run a few cattle too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tn_Va_Hunter

MickThompson":308pn0vc said:
If you're next to the National forest, more trees is the last thing I'd want.

What are you managing for here? Just wildlife, or hoping to run a few cattle too?

I see your point. No cattle. Just for hunting

MickThompson

On 30 acres, you can't come close to "holding deer" in the sense that they never leave. I'd focus on making your property the place deer go to get what they can't on the FS land, namely old field cover. That stuff holds deer year round.

Bone Collector

MickThompson":1q7vxtha said:
On 30 acres, you can't come close to "holding deer" in the sense that they never leave. I'd focus on making your property the place deer go to get what they can't on the FS land, namely old field cover. That stuff holds deer year round.

I have this same issue. I have 32 acres and I get pics of good bucks, but they do not stay on my property. I am looking at creating thickets to try to hold them at least a little bit. If you were planting fruit I would look at apple, persimmon, and maybe some pears. It won't hold them, but it will be another food source for them.

Is your land in TN or VA? I know when i lived in VA (northern part) there were lots of apple farms but it seems these trees do better in hilly areas.

Grundy.308

Tho I have no experience with managing land or planting trees I'd be looking more towards a late season Honey hole with high quality food of some sort for them when food is scarce everywhere else. Just a thought as for early season some plots to pull does for rutting bucks. But like I said I have no experience just some food for thought. Happy New Year God Bless

Tn_Va_Hunter

Bone Collector":3tu41huk said:
MickThompson":3tu41huk said:

I have this same issue. I have 32 acres and I get pics of good bucks, but they do not stay on my property. I am looking at creating thickets to try to hold them at least a little bit. If you were planting fruit I would look at apple, persimmon, and maybe some pears. It won't hold them, but it will be another food source for them.

Is your land in TN or VA? I know when i lived in VA (northern part) there were lots of apple farms but it seems these trees do better in hilly areas.

I'm in VA. I'd like to plant some fruit trees for sure. I understand I can't hold deer with such little amount of land.

What would you guys recommend planting that would last through late season ? I'm totally new to food plots.
I really appreciate all the feed back.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Grundy.308":141julej said:
Tho I have no experience with managing land or planting trees I'd be looking more towards a late season Honey hole with high quality food of some sort for them when food is scarce everywhere else. Just a thought as for early season some plots to pull does for rutting bucks. But like I said I have no experience just some food for thought. Happy New Year God Bless

I have actually considered letting the fields grow up some and mow strips through them and maybe plant some clover or something for them to feed on.

DavidW

I would plant apple and pear trees lining that road to your barn. It'd look nice and be easy to keep eye on and care for them.