Food Plots Planting in the spring

wildlifefarmer

I'm going to experiment with a couple of plots fall-planted in Crimson and see if I can keep it growing all summer by mowing it constantly, starting in late April, before it blooms out. Don't know if that will work, but can't hurt to try.
I've tried it. Summer heat and lack of H20 takes a toll on it. I've had better luck with waiting until it blooms and turns brown then drill or top sow. When fall comes around you all you need to do is top sow a grain, your crimson will already be there

BSK

I've tried it. Summer heat and lack of H20 takes a toll on it. I've had better luck with waiting until it blooms and turns brown then drill or top sow. When fall comes around you all you need to do is top sow a grain, your crimson will already be there
What are you drilling or top-sowing after bloom-out? More Crimson, or something else?

wildlifefarmer

What are you drilling or top-sowing after bloom-out? More Crimson, or something else?
After bloom out, I have drilled corn. In fall when corn is mature you should get a great crimson ground cover for winter and spring.

Also, drilled a mixture of soybeans, buckwheat, iron clay and sunflowers.

These also helped with the selection of chemicals to control grasses or broadleaves.

Both approaches have done well in the past. However we all know NOTHING grew this summer.

BSK

This doesn't apply to perennial clovers? Right?
Correct. Crimson is a cool-season annual (lives one season, goes to seed, and then dies). Arrowleaf is another popular annual. But perennials live for years if they are maintained well. The reason I don't use perennials is because 1) annuals produce more foliage because they put everything they've got into their one season of life while perennials must hold back resources to grow another year; and 2) I turn all my plots under every year to get a fresh start on weeds and to produce a better seed bed that will hold moisture through dry spells (my soils rapidly compact if they are not turned regularly).