Planting Eagle Soybean/RR Corn Question

Jarred525

Starting to do some planning for my April planting. I have 2 bags (cant remember if they are 45 or 50 lb bags) of Eagle Seed Gamekeeper Beans and plenty of Dekalb RR Corn. I'll be using a rented Haybuster Grain drill.

My thought:

~3 acre planting
7.5 Spacing
30 lbs eagle seed/ 5 lbs corn to the acre

What do you think? Do you like a different spacing or seed rate?

tn droptine

How are you doing the beans and corn together - alternate rows such as one row of corn for every three rows of beans?

My only concern with doing anything like that is depending on the pressure your beans get your corn may end up getting trampled - maybe plant a portion of the plot in just beans and the other portion just corn instead of combining. There wasn't anything that grew (other than Johnson grass - grrr) in my Eagle bean patch that I had planted the year before last, and even the beans struggled to keep up with the browsing pressure they received - didn't have many plants that made it past 8" high.

Jarred525

I was planning on mixing together given I am using the grain drill which makes it tough to seperate. I had not thought about the corn getting trampled. I may ponder corn around the perimeter planted seperately with beans in the middle. Or maybe alternate planting solid soybeans and solid corn.We will also be planting about 3 acres of sunflowers in the area so I am hopeful that will help with browsing pressure.

Does Coop rent no till planters?

KubotaM4900

Jarred525 said:
Co-op does rent the drill. Several I have seen are Haybuster models. Not sure on recent price I did hear the other day it was around $10 per acre. I dont know if it was accurate or even close. If anyone knows for sure Id like to know.

primos32

KubotaM4900 said:
Jarred525 said:
Co-op does rent the drill. Several I have seen are Haybuster models. Not sure on recent price I did hear the other day it was around $10 per acre. I dont know if it was accurate or even close. If anyone knows for sure Id like to know.

The one here in Hardin County is $9 an acre for the drill.

Latest posts