Pine seedling growth

Thelonegoose

I need to plant some rows of pines for screening and windbreak around my house build. The field is very fertile so grass/weeds takes them over very quick. Is imazapyr what I could spray directly over them to control the grass/weeds?
Imazapyr will work just fine but I'd be willing to bet that most of the pines you plant will out compete most of the competition in a few years if you are able to do some bush hogging or mowing on the edges or in between the rows.

Joe2Kool

Planting pines in steep hill country is some of the hardest work I've ever done. Each time I've done it I swear afterwards I will never do that again! Then, like women forgetting how bad pregnancy and childbirth are after a year or so and decide to have another, I'll forget how bad planting pines was and think, yea, I could plant more.
Flat and sandy soil country in eastern NC, so it wasn't difficult for me😁. I just remember that 2", heavy pointed pole. Drive a hole, stick a tree in it, stomp around the edges, take 3 steps. Repeat.

BSK

Flat and sandy soil country in eastern NC, so it wasn't difficult for me😁. I just remember that 2", heavy pointed pole. Drive a hole, stick a tree in it, stomp around the edges, take 3 steps. Repeat.
The muddy conditions helped getting the dibble bars in the ground, but the next week, when things dried up and I tried to plant the last couple hundred seedling myself on a rocky ridge, I was wishing for the mud again! I bought the super heavy-duty "rock" dibble bars. They really help. Only problem is they weight about 20 lbs. Throw one of those down hard four or five times to find a spot between the rocks, then jump on it with all your weight. Now repeat a couple hundred times. Now do that all day every day for a week. You won't feel very good afterwards, especially at 60 years old.

Joe2Kool

The muddy conditions helped getting the dibble bars in the ground, but the next week, when things dried up and I tried to plant the last couple hundred seedling myself on a rocky ridge, I was wishing for the mud again! I bought the super heavy-duty "rock" dibble bars. They really help. Only problem is they weight about 20 lbs. Throw one of those down hard four or five times to find a spot between the rocks, then jump on it with all your weight. Now repeat a couple hundred times. Now do that all day every day for a week. You won't feel very good afterwards, especially at 60 years old.
Sandy soil was much easier. And I was about 10-12 years old. :) So I don't remember how it felt, I just remember lots and lots of pine trees!