Pine Savanna?

bjohnson

Has anyone ever created a pine savanna? We currently have 6.5 acres on our farm in 15 year old pine. From what I'm reading a savanna will provide more benefit than a stand of pure pines for wildlife. We are trying to make our farm as diverse as possible for deer, turkey, and quail.

Boll Weevil

Haven't done it (yet) but I've for sure thought about it. There's several areas on my farm that are bounded by good firebreaks/roads I could run fire through more frequently and with less fanfare

It's still on my list of possible projects for sure. Thin it hard, let it grow out to big sawtimber, and burn often.

Last edited:

bjohnson

Plan is to go in after season and cut what is needed for the savanna then burn. Probably burn every 4 years after that. We have a trail all around the 6.5 acres that would serve as the fire break.

MickThompson

6.5 acres isn't really enough to be commercially viable for pines so I'd just get rid of all of them. Those few remaining pines wouldn't do anything for your species of interest- they'll just be hawk perches or a place for coons to get away from a coyote.

bjohnson

6.5 acres isn't really enough to be commercially viable for pines so I'd just get rid of all of them. Those few remaining pines wouldn't do anything for your species of interest- they'll just be hawk perches or a place for coons to get away from a coyote.

Not looking for commercial viability as we will be doing the work ourselves. Just wanting to add some diversity to the landscape.

BSK

I really like the 6-acre pine savannah idea. You will get a slightly different plant community with that than if the area was just clear-cut and burned.

bjohnson

Below is an outline of the 6.5 acres to be cut. This farm had the timber harvested probably 18 years ago. So we have hardwoods and of course the ag fields adjacent to the planned area. The other openings are food plots that are about to old field growth managed. The savanna would add to the diversity of tje property while still providing bedding, cover and browse between the 4 year burn plan.

Screenshot_20210913-171705_onX Hunt.jpg

BSK

I know this won't be popular and offers no real insight, but growing up in central/eastern North Carolina, to me there's nothing as pretty and serene as a long leaf savannah or even a loblolly savannah. Beautiful habitat!
Agreed. And great deer habitat.

bjohnson

Looks like if I push across the logging road I can pick up another 3 acres for the project. Anyone have an idea of how many trees need to be left per acre? 6 to 8?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
40 to 60 basel feet according to the guys I have worked with. We cut a couple hundred acres last winter. We started leaving 60 base feet but I decided that was a little thick and dropped the last 100 acres to 40 basel feet.

It was explained to me that basel feet is the square footage of the uncut tree stumps left in an acre. So the larger the tree the fewer left.

Having cut that last winter we have had explosive growth as a result. It is amazing the quantity of food and cover that cutting produced.

bjohnson

40 to 60 basel feet according to the guys I have worked with. We cut a couple hundred acres last winter. We started leaving 60 base feet but I decided that was a little thick and dropped the last 100 acres to 40 basel feet.

It was explained to me that basel feet is the square footage of the uncut tree stumps left in an acre. So the larger the tree the fewer left.

Having cut that last winter we have had explosive growth as a result. It is amazing the quantity of food and cover that cutting produced.
Thanks for the info. It's bad when habitat management gets me pumped up more than hunting itself lol

DoubleRidge

Thanks for the info. It's bad when habitat management gets me pumped up more than hunting itself lol

Actually I get it..... hunting can be for a short time period....where habitat management can be year around....there are always things we can work on to improve the habitat in some way....very rewarding process.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places

BSK

Actually I get it..... hunting can be for a short time period....where habitat management can be year around....there are always things we can work on to improve the habitat in some way....very rewarding process.
I would bet my ratio of hours spent working on habitat to actually hunting is probably 20 to 1.

Latest posts