Pine growth

BSK

The growth rate of pine seedlings planted at the right time of year in the right conditions - even in terrible soil - never ceases to amaze me. Planted these seedlings 15 months ago in serious rock ground after timber harvest. Now some are as tall as my shoulder.

Attachments

• pines1.jpg
    pines1.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 287

BSK

Just received the new East TN Nursery price list. if ordering more than 2,500 Loblolly Pine seedlings, costs per 1,000 seedlings is:

1.5 Gen $55
2.0 Gen $65
3.0 Gen $70

BSK

Planted 1.5 Gen Loblolly pines in heavily thinned timber areas 27 months ago. Found this one today. 9-feet tall. That's crazy growth in 27 months. Most are 4 to 7 feet tall.

Attachments

• pines6.jpg
    pines6.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 80

BSK

What spacing or density (trees per ac) did you plant'em?
VERY wide. I wanted a mix of regrowth instead of a pine-only stand. We planted at 10' x 10'.

It's been my experience that the pine-only stands are used as cover quicker in the pines' growth cycle than a mixed stand, but the mixed stands last longer as cover.

Normally, I expect to see enough growth in a mixed stand that deer will begin using it as cover after the 5th growing season. But these 1.5 Gen pines are growing so fast I think I'll see some use by deer after only 3 growing seasons, not necessarily as bedding cover but in incorporating this habitat into their travel patterns. In a hardwood environment, the visual screen young pines provide after the first freeze can temp deer to travel through the pines instead of the leafless surrounding saplings.

Last edited:

Thelonegoose

The loblolly to the left of me was planted in March/April of 2020. This is the pine I use to take a picture next to every year. I believe this pine reflects roughly the average height of the of the of the pines that were planted a few years ago.

The big one further to the left is a regenerated loblolly that is several years older and also looks to be doing great as well.
It may not look "pretty" but there sure are a lot of deer, rabbits, turkeys, and quail that use the habitat these young pines provide.
IMG_5123.jpeg

BSK

And out west in some places it takes 50 years to grow a harvestable pine.
With industrial planting and maintenance techniques, southern pine plantations can produce pulpwood in 15 years. Lumber in 20-25.

On the steep, rocky ridges where I work, I can get 40-foot trees in 20 years.

Latest posts