• Help Support TNDeer:

pick-up or SUV?

Rancocas

Hey Ya'll;
I'm thinking of getting another vehicle. Right now I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Raider 6 cyl. 2WD pickup. I often tow a popup camper, a 14 foot fishing boat, or a little 12 foot utility trailer. All of those are no problem for the Raider. However, every now and then I have to tow a mid-size Kubota tractor on a heavy 18' flat bed trailer. The Mitsubishi really strains to pull that load just a few miles down the road.
We also have a 2017 Dodge Durango SUV, also a 6 cyl., 2WD. It also has no problem towing the smaller stuff.
I used to have a big Chev. Silvarado but I got tired of full size pickups. They are too difficult to maneuver on the tight back mountain logging roads that I like to frequent.
I like a mid-size pickup, but I don't think anyone makes one with an 8 cyl.
I like our Dodge Durango, too, but would like one with an 8 cyl. engine and 4WD. I have read that such a Dodge equipped with an 8 cyl and 4WD has the most towing power of all the SUV's. I think that just might meet my towing and wood's running requirements.
So, I'm asking; What do you think? Any suggestions?

backyardtndeer

Spec wise my 08 durango awd with 5.7 hemi has more towing capacity than my 1998 chevy 3.4 ton truck. Think it is rated to tow 9500 lbs. BUT there is no comparing pulling like loads. The durango pulls no problem, but does not have the suspension to handle the heavier loads. It gets the float feeling, as where the truck rides like it should. Neither compares to my 2020 duramax.

Think it really depends a lot on how heavy the actual load is and how well balanced. With whichever, would encourage electric brakes.

backyardtndeer

Oh, and have to add. The durango we have, which is an awd model, is what my wife drove during the snow storm on taxi duty picking up staff for the nursing home she works at. With decent tires that thing goes about anywhere. I have always been impressed with it. On our driveway where my truck would slip coming up our hill, the durango never slips a tire, they did something right with the awd system on those models.

Omega

I like trucks, I tried an SUV for awhile but went back to a truck pretty quick. I had a GMC 1500 4x4, did well but was a bit long with an 8' bed and twin cab. I now have a Tacoma, the V6 can pull some decent weight, I pulled my Travel Trailer to TX and back with no issues and my small Kobota on a 10' trailer doesn't give it any issues. Due to the weight of the truck I probably wouldn't pull anything much heavier though as stopping could become an issue.

Jon54

I have a ‘19 Ford Ranger with tow package. It has a turbo 4 cyl and 10 speed auto. Roughly 300 horsepower and 300 # of torque. Ford said it will tow 7,500#. I do know when I hook my 6x10 trailer with my atv, I never know it’s there.

younggun308

I think you’ll find traction might be better with an AWD SUV. Insufficient weight in the bed can be a nuisance.
Question is have they put a large enough engine or a good tow package in there? They do make nice tow packages for AWD SUVs—I know Lexus does, so I suspect some Toyotas have it.

Rancocas

Thanks for all the replies. I added up the weight of my tractor, bucket and tiller attachments, and the trailer and was surprised to only come up with about 5,200 pounds. I had been thinking that I needed twice that towing capability.
Right now I am leaning heavily toward an 8 cyl 4WD Dodge Durango. I don't want a full size truck, nor a little truck. I like a mid-size truck, but they don't make one with an 8 cyl. engine.
However, I am still in the "just thinking about it" stage.

backyardtndeer

Thanks for all the replies. I added up the weight of my tractor, bucket and tiller attachments, and the trailer and was surprised to only come up with about 5,200 pounds. I had been thinking that I needed twice that towing capability.
Right now I am leaning heavily toward an 8 cyl 4WD Dodge Durango. I don't want a full size truck, nor a little truck. I like a mid-size truck, but they don't make one with an 8 cyl. engine.
However, I am still in the "just thinking about it" stage.
Don't know the towing specs for the new Durango, but would guess it should do fine with that load if it has a factory towing package. Have had near max load behind ours and plenty of power, suspension is the only issue.

Coltens

You could look at an early model Tundra. It is a mid size truck with a V8 and great reliability. Prices are crazy high on them now though.

Granddaddy

Don't know Dodge products since I drive big Ford trucks but the same should apply. I added a helper spring that keeps my truck level when I'm hitching a big load. The added helper spring I installed doesn't affect the ride when I'm not hauling, just adds capacity & levels the load when hauling a load. This is most important when you are loading a vehicle to near-capacity. Several good choices for either leaf or coil spring setups. So I'd recommend regardless of the vehicle choice you make (for manuverabilty SUV should be best), add a helper spring to maintain a level load. And choose the type that doesn't affect the normal load ride. They aren't expensive & make a lot of difference hauling a big load. What I'm saying is that tongue weight/ capacity is just as important as towing capacity.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.