Photography?

catman529

I dont do anything fancy but do take a few pics sometimes. I carry a panasonic fx75 point and shoot camera. Aside from taking HD video, the photos are great quality, and the lens has an extra wide angle which is good for getting the scenery. The camera is pocket sized but I keep it in a case around my neck. And as a bonus, I use it to check the cards on my trail cams, so I can see the pics without swapping the card.

Outdoor life

Canon Powershot SX130IS with 12 X zoom, great fuctions, great pictures. Only downside, is that it has terrible battery life and it's not waterproof...my next one will be.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I had a Cannon Powershot, but it finally died. I now take a Sony Cybershot DSC-H55. It's a great little camera too. I have also used an older Nikon Coolpix with good results.(that camera still works, but its only 2.1 MP, my stepson uses it now and its great for 4x6 pics as long as the light is decent.

TNReb

I have a Nikon D700 and love it... although I admittedly don't spend the time with it that I'd like to.

If you don't know much about photography, try to spend some time understanding the basics of it before you spend much money. It isn't worth buying a nice dSLR if you don't understand aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc and how they all affect your images. If you are going to buy a camera and leave it on the "auto" mode, just buy a point and shoot camera.

If you are going with a dSLR, also consider what lenses you may want. They can be very expensive. It isn't worth buying a nice camera if you can only afford to put a $100 knock-off lens on it. I admittedly can't justify spending the money on some of the lenses I would like to have.

Also.. dSLR's can be bulky, especially with zoom lenses. Ask yourself if you really want to lug it hunting with you. A point-and-shoot camera won't be able to zoom in and get you long-range photos, but you may be much more likely to carry it with you and capture more shots.

jb3

Love my dslr, but would not consider taking in the woods while hunting. If you do go the dslr route, don't go the route where you get the factory lens kit. Buy body only and plan on spending more money for glass. Similar to buying a rifle these days. The glass is as important as the gun.

tasaman

I have same camera as Pic IN the Casa. It's a XTI with a 55-250mm Sigma with a UV and a polarized filters on it. I do want to learn to use it better as I get some great pix from time to time but not always.

I notice since getting and Iphone 4S that I don't take the Canon near as much as I used to.

tasaman

jb3 said:
Love my dslr, but would not consider taking in the woods while hunting. If you do go the dslr route, don't go the route where you get the factory lens kit. Buy body only and plan on spending more money for glass. Similar to buying a rifle these days. The glass is as important as the gun.

Usually the "kit" lens is only a fraction of the price it would be otherwise so it's not a big expense. So getting a new DSLR I would get the kit lens and save for a great lens later.

Filters are a great way to take better pics with the stock lenses as well.

catman529

tasaman said:
I have same camera as Pic IN the Casa. It's a XTI with a 55-250mm Sigma with a UV and a polarized filters on it. I do want to learn to use it better as I get some great pix from time to time but not always.

I notice since getting and Iphone 4S that I don't take the Canon near as much as I used to.
same here, I've been using the iPhone a lot more lately. Downside is you can't zoom the video. But it takes decent pics, the HDR option is great for certain scenery and there are a ton of apps you can download to enhance the pics, although I rarely use any apps. And on top of it all, I can take a good quality pic and have it posted on Tndeer within 2 minutes.

Latest posts