• Help Support TNDeer:

Per the buy local conversation.....

7mm08

Let me preface that I will in no way ever demean a person’s job except of course the professional beggars around every exit in Knoxville. My dad was a factory worker for 37 years after the war, my Mom a bookkeeper for a small local auto parts place.

I worked with my Stihl 250c chainsaw two weeks ago clearing the lot my son is building his home on all day. I ain’t man enough to do this full time but I put in a solid 6-7 hours. After that ordeal I decided to have it tuned up and chain sharpened ....../ yes I can change spark plugs and yes I could have learned how to sharpen a blade from YouTube but why not let the local Mayo’s do it.... privately owned with several stores. I mean am sure their sales/service is down too.

picked up the chainsaw about a week after I dropped it off. Paid my 48$ and brought it home. Fired it up, and within 5 sec at full throttle the chain comes off!!!! Luckily it didn’t take off my fingers ( my most important body part , second only to....... and not my brain. ) So jumped back in the truck and take it back to service. This is what I got ......
1. No one said “ I’m sorry “
2. The “ manager” told me” well it must have worked loose”
3. “The technician said he ran it for one minute after he fixed it. “. I said “ I’m calling BS”
4. The best was “ well replacing the chain is pretty technical “ to which I replied “ you want to see technical, come with me to the OR and watch us bypass a heart”. I made the guy run it at full throttle for 1 min after the chain was technically replaced. To which my parting shot was “ tell the technician for me either he is stupid or just doesn’t give a dammm, which one is it”

next time YouTube for lessons and Amazon if I need a chain sharpening tool & spark plug!!!!

backyardtndeer

Pride in work seems to be not so much these days.

Had a boy at a local small engine shop I let do some work for me on occasion, his father owned the shop. He was really good and he never charged more than was fair. He got into some trouble and some women took over the office part. I won't ever go back.

Sad how places can let some bad seeds ruin their business.

WTM

i think its the same with a lot of these jobs and businesses today. my son bought a new house. the fiberglass bathtub and showers were cracked all over from not being supported very well. i opened the side panels and the bedding sand had been vac’d up by the previous owner, probably not knowing what the sand does.

i told him he has two choices, hore someone to re-epoxy and color match or replace both. i told him refinishing would be cheaper and would last a while.

called a local company, quoted about $650 with 10 year warranty and color match. said it would take about four hours. two days later he text and asked,”why do people suck at their job?”. my reply, “because young people nowadays have very little skills and no pride in their craft.”

this is what it looked like after the young guy worked on it for two days. his boss came out and re-sanded and epoxied and color matched. it looked like a brand new tub after he was finished.

6A6B2215-9D1A-4DA6-9E01-B75D97A4F583.jpeg

B5FCAF4B-64EA-4D30-B57D-25E6D6DEA4A4.jpeg

backyardtndeer

The cheap harbor fright sharpeners do work, however if not careful they also can ruin a good chain.

I bought two chains from tsc for my echo the year before last, was cheaper to buy than I remember it costing last time I paid to have two chains sharpened at the small engine shop I mentioned in my previous reply.

Hunter 257W

Saw chains are not hard to sharpen, just takes a few minutes.
Yeah, the hardest part is deciding to do it. I clamp the saw in a big vice by the middle of the bar, lock the chain and start filing. I always use White-Out (is that racist?) to mark the 1st tooth I file so I know when to stop when I get back around to it.

brassmagnet

Yeah, the hardest part is deciding to do it. I clamp the saw in a big vice by the middle of the bar, lock the chain and start filing. I always use White-Out (is that racist?) to mark the 1st tooth I file so I know when to stop when I get back around to it.
Sharpen it after you use it while you drink your cool down beer. That way it's ready to go next time you need it, or at least that's what I do.

PossumSlayer

Supporter
I always know when I get to my first sharp tooth automatically.... I always cut my finger with it😁

DoubleRidge

Great idea on the white out.....I'm gonna borrow that one!

Wildcat

Let me preface that I will in no way ever demean a person’s job except of course the professional beggars around every exit in Knoxville. My dad was a factory worker for 37 years after the war, my Mom a bookkeeper for a small local auto parts place.

I worked with my Stihl 250c chainsaw two weeks ago clearing the lot my son is building his home on all day. I ain’t man enough to do this full time but I put in a solid 6-7 hours. After that ordeal I decided to have it tuned up and chain sharpened ....../ yes I can change spark plugs and yes I could have learned how to sharpen a blade from YouTube but why not let the local Mayo’s do it.... privately owned with several stores. I mean am sure their sales/service is down too.

picked up the chainsaw about a week after I dropped it off. Paid my 48$ and brought it home. Fired it up, and within 5 sec at full throttle the chain comes off!!!! Luckily it didn’t take off my fingers ( my most important body part , second only to....... and not my brain. ) So jumped back in the truck and take it back to service. This is what I got ......
1. No one said “ I’m sorry “
2. The “ manager” told me” well it must have worked loose”
3. “The technician said he ran it for one minute after he fixed it. “. I said “ I’m calling BS”
4. The best was “ well replacing the chain is pretty technical “ to which I replied “ you want to see technical, come with me to the OR and watch us bypass a heart”. I made the guy run it at full throttle for 1 min after the chain was technically replaced. To which my parting shot was “ tell the technician for me either he is stupid or just doesn’t give a dammm, which one is it”

next time YouTube for lessons and Amazon if I need a chain sharpening tool & spark plug!!!!
Sounds like he didn't lock the chain in, tighten it in, after sharing.