Pee on it

Pilchard

BuckWild's Grinnel story reminded me of a good laugh I had a long time ago.

Whenever I had a new fisherman on the boat that wanted to pull on something really big, I'd take them to catch Jewfish. These are massive grouper that you can hook very easily under the bridge pilings of just about any coastal bridge in South Florida.

The day starts by catching bait which is probably more fun than catching the Jewfish. We would live chum for Jacks and put a dozen of them in the livewell and then head to the bridge. The action on the jacks is fast and furious and you are trying to catch as many as possible quickly once you get them chummed up. To unhook them, I usually pin them against my stomach, take the hook out and toss them in the livewell quickly. Apparently the new guy on the boat had been watching me pin the jacks against my body and attempted to do this with a catfish which proceeded to poke him in the belly. Saltwater catfish have something on their spines that causes extreme pain when you get jabbed with one.

I heard him yell and immediately knew he had been poked in the gut. He was doubled over in pain and was nearly in tears asking me how he could make the pain subside. Jokingly I said, it's just like a jellyfish sting, if you pee on it, it will take away the pain instantly. A few moments later I was reeling in another jack and I looked back to see him with his shirt off and pecker aimed skyward. He was peeing all over himself out of pure desperation. The look on his face was priceless when I told him that I was joking.

Last edited:

Carlos

pawpaw about died when he got finned. it cut him pretty good. years of commercial fishing and it had never happened that bad before.
The worst (and first) one I ever got was under much thumbnail. I was unhooking one when it twisted, and the side spine went halfway to the quick. I was about 11 years old.
I still remember my uncle having me put some 'baccer juice in there.

Those were some good times.

mike243

I have been finned several times over the years when we lived in Fl, never had pain hit me that quick or hard from any wasp or bee, have read to rub the catfish slime on it to stop the pain, I will just cut the line if they are too frisky these days, had I known that would have stopped the pain I would have been all in too lmao