Patterns at 25 and 50 yards

6541514D-0120-4FBD-8F90-9A57C898F551.jpeg
40F52A7E-D37D-4B76-9790-C742B29606D2.jpeg

Looks like 50 may be a little too far for the long beard XR #6s with my current setup. Really happy with the 25 yard pattern though.

TN Larry

I would try shooting at a bigger target and shoot at 40 yards. The 25 yard target is shifted to the right. Could the 50 yard target have the center of the pattern off the target? I used to always shoot a poster board but got a roll of brown contractors paper a few years ago at Lowes that I now shoot. It allows you to see your entire pattern.

I would try shooting at a bigger target and shoot at 40 yards. The 25 yard target is shifted to the right. Could the 50 yard target have the center of the pattern off the target? I used to always shoot a poster board but got a roll of brown contractors paper a few years ago at Lowes that I now shoot. It allows you to see your entire pattern.
Thats a good idea. Ill try that this evening.

megalomaniac

HOW DEAD IS DEAD ? On your 50 yard shot I counted 9 hits in the killing zone. BIRD IS DEAD. Just because there is not 50 in the head , that is a killer shot
Mike, you are right, all it takes is 1 pellet in the right place to kill a bird. That 50y target has 9... dead bird on that particular shot.

But look at the holes in the pattern... hit a couple inches to the right and I'm not so sure it's a clean kill.

Just like it only takes 1 pellet to kill, it also only takes 1 pellet to result in an unrecoverable bird that dies. We owe it to the turkeys to do our very best to recover every bird we pull the trigger at.

Another way to look at it... with that gun/shell/choke combo at 50 yards given that target... would it result in a dead bird if you replicated it 99 more times? I don't think so, that's why I said it's not ethical at 50. 85/100 I suspect.

Now 40y target looks great. Dead bird every time as long as you do your part...

And Biden Smokes Mid, you are right... if you can't get the bird to 40, it's perfectly OK to let him win. No need to force the issue, shoot too far and he dies without a recovery. You lose, and he loses even more.

knightrider

HOW DEAD IS DEAD ? On your 50 yard shot I counted 9 hits in the killing zone. BIRD IS DEAD. Just because there is not 50 in the head , that is a killer shot
That one time yes!! Consistently no look at all the hole in pattern, we owe more to the animals we hunt than spray and pray hoping for 1 lucky pellet, and also keep inmind its lead 6's at 50 yards which you need all you can get in the head and neck to get enough energy to break it.

Latest posts