Patience is an understatement

Setterman

Opening found me in a familiar area, at daylight the only gobbling I heard was a two day hike away. However, several hundred yards out a lead from me a group of Jake's and hens were having quite a party. With nothing else happening I decided to head that way. I set up and called to them and was greeted with a cacophony of Jake yelps and hen talk.

muttering to myself this is a waste but suspecting there had to be a mature bird with this group as it wasn't just a few birds.

soon I hear them start flying down, and once it seemed all were on the ground I cut really aggressively at the group. Low and behold a bird hammered back.

over the next 8 hours, yes 8 long grueling hours I stuck with this flock only being able to keep track of them by hearing the longbeard drumming and occasional hen clucks.

I sealed it around hour 6 when they began to drift towards a point I knew well, and circled out in front. It still took two hours to coax the hens to me and past me dragging him behind them.

At 25 steps I ended one of the longest most grueling kills I've ever had. I was starving, aching, and drained. But found success. It wasn't the perfect game as he only gobbled the once, but it was a quest to rid the world of his non gobbling genetics haha. The group had 6 jakes and probably 12-14 hens.

1" Spurs, rat 8.5" beard. Really surprised he wasn't a brute with his harem and watch dogs.

Attachments

• EFD183E4-CC46-4617-87CE-03AE503557B0.jpeg
    EFD183E4-CC46-4617-87CE-03AE503557B0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 134

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Opening found me in a familiar area, at daylight the only gobbling I heard was a two day hike away. However, several hundred yards out a lead from me a group of Jake's and hens were having quite a party. With nothing else happening I decided to head that way. I set up and called to them and was greeted with a cacophony of Jake yelps and hen talk.

muttering to myself this is a waste but suspecting there had to be a mature bird with this group as it wasn't just a few birds.

soon I hear them start flying down, and once it seemed all were on the ground I cut really aggressively at the group. Low and behold a bird hammered back.

over the next 8 hours, yes 8 long grueling hours I stuck with this flock only being able to keep track of them by hearing the longbeard drumming and occasional hen clucks.

I sealed it around hour 6 when they began to drift towards a point I knew well, and circled out in front. It still took two hours to coax the hens to me and past me dragging him behind them.

At 25 steps I ended one of the longest most grueling kills I've ever had. I was starving, aching, and drained. But found success. It wasn't the perfect game as he only gobbled the once, but it was a quest to rid the world of his non gobbling genetics haha. The group had 6 jakes and probably 12-14 hens.

1" Spurs, rat 8.5" beard. Really surprised he wasn't a brute with his harem and watch dogs.
Your correct, definitely hard hunting!

megalomaniac

Heard earned and well deserved bird. Longest I've spent on a bird was 4 hours, most hunts over 2 hours I've ended up bumping them repositioning or trailing behind. Every move in 8h had to be perfect for that to come together. In this day and age with fewer birds, NEVER leave birds to find birds.

Latest posts