Paddlers Lobby for Stricter Rules for Trotliners

artwork001

Next time you see someone with a Jon Boat paddling. Think about this statement. Ask him where His Boat,Kayak,Canoe and Jet ski are ?? Ask him why he's carrying a Jon boat in the back of a old truck with no trailer ? Plenty of folks still fish to eat.
You might be right about that. Just to be clear all my stuff is old except one boat I bought new last year after 40 years of working so I'm not sitting on some high horse talking down to people I just think it's maybe past the days for that and fish traps. I could be wrong certainly so run them lines lol if your in a kayak keep a knife handy.

BuckWild

The article states:

"Everyone should be able to kayak, fish, boat or swim on Tennessee waterways without fear that another recreational user has set a potentially lethal booby trap."

So they are worried about getting caught in a trotline after they have loaded their gear up in a automotive vehicle where the annual death toll nationwide is right at 40,000 deaths, and driven to their waterway of choice.

Yea...OK.

I only know of one death resulting from a trotline and that was 30 or more years ago. A local man was running a trotline on his private 5 acre lake on a very windy day, apparently ran a hook through his hand and wound up going over and drowned.

How many people do you read about everyday that die in auto accidents?

Potentially lethal? That is life itself...

WTM

The article states:

"Everyone should be able to kayak, fish, boat or swim on Tennessee waterways without fear that another recreational user has set a potentially lethal booby trap."

So they are worried about getting caught in a trotline after they have loaded their gear up in a automotive vehicle where the annual death toll nationwide is right at 40,000 deaths, and driven to their waterway of choice.

Yea...OK.

I only know of one death resulting from a trotline and that was 30 or more years ago. A local man was running a trotline on his private 5 acre lake on a very windy day, apparently ran a hook through his hand and wound up going over and drowned.

How many people do you read about everyday that die in auto accidents?

Potentially lethal? That is life itself...
look at how many people die each year in kayaks and canoes. probably more likely to die from paddling than from a pit bull attack.

bigquacks

If this is the case, then every snagged or lost lure is a death sentence for us all. I believe I will just sell all my stuff and sit on the couch. This isnt about safety it is about control.

Pilchard

If this is the case, then every snagged or lost lure is a death sentence for us all. I believe I will just sell all my stuff and sit on the couch. This isnt about safety it is about control.
Sort of unrelated to this thread but I stopped by the Harpeth River one day in Franklin where they stock trout to check out the river conditions for wading. Just as I got to the top of the stairs I guy was yelling and running up the stairs with worm hook sticking out of his calf. He was panicked after being in the river playing and unintentionally getting hooked by a a rig that someone had broken off. I saw him coming up the stairs and just before I could get the word stop out of my mouth, the bullet weight he was dragging snagged on the stairs behind him and brought him to a halt. He was not happy and was cursing fisherman for his misfortune. I offered assistance to remove the hook but he decided to go to the ER instead.

tanasirivertea

What if those kayaks aren't using a public boat ramp? What if they're only going where a boat with a motor can't go? Would that be different? What about when I'm fishing a remote trout stream in the middle of nowhere, should I register and pay a fee for my wader's as well?
In sense you did pay a wader fee. The tax on that equipment does somewhat fund what you're doing haha

tanasirivertea

Make them there own private launching ramp and make a rule to stay out of the channel. Can't remember how many times I've went to put my boat in and the kayak people have the whole boat ramp and banks clogged up. Takes them 30 min if lucky to get out of the way. And once on water they can't stay close to shoreline they have to be right in the middle of the channel buoy's
there certainly are some nutjobs ain't there? and you're right they seem to take forever to load and launch them things. Its like people trying to ride a bicycle on I-65

Latest posts