Owl calls

Mr. Hawk

I was wondering if anyone knows if owls will hoot all morning long. Were I hunt, the turkeys were really gobbling to the owls this morning but I can't be sure if there was another hunter in the woods or if it was the real thing because they owl was still calling up until 10:00 this morning and the turkeys were going crazy. In my experience owls call early first light and then shut up. Does anyone have any experience with this?

elkman

they hoot at different times of the day. Most is done in the early hours of day. Most of the time you can tell the difference between an owl and a hunter. Most hunters sound bland doing the "Who cooks for you" thing. having said that, some are really good with the tube type calls that produce the laughing sounds.

93civEJ1

elkman said:
they hoot at different times of the day. Most is done in the early hours of day. Most of the time you can tell the difference between an owl and a hunter. Most hunters sound bland doing the "Who cooks for you" thing. having said that, some are really good with the tube type calls that produce the laughing sounds.

HAHA...I let out one or two who cooks for you this morning. I was even saying that to myself..lol

elkman

93civEJ1 said:
elkman said:

HAHA...I let out one or two who cooks for you this morning. I was even saying that to myself..lol

dont get me wrong, i do it too, but it is easy to tell a hunter when it sounds like someone trying to play a bottle in a blue grass band :D

Mr. Hawk

It was too far off but sounded real , it just hooted more than I've ever heard like it was talking to the turkeys

catman529

I have heard em at all times of day. Even several hooting back and forth during late morning or afternoon. During deer and turkey season too. I love to hear em call.

AT Hiker

Both likely, I know you dont like that answer. When I hear one close to me I want to think it is another hunter for some reason, but it usually is not. I usually hear multiple owls this time of year sounded off together in unison...so if you hear one "who cooks for you" its likely a hunter. In the areas I hunt, I know where I traditonally hear owls all year long.

But owls can be vocal anytime, day or night. Rarely do I hear a single owl make only one single note though. When I do, its usually during turkey season and on public land or heavily hunted private land. You deduct what you want from it. I still use a owl call some, even though it has been 5 years since I got a true shock gobble out of it...I just let the turkeys do the roost gobbling on their own now. Or I wait till late dawn to crow call or coyote howl.