Outdoor Job/Internship for Teen - Help?

gil1

I got the below email from a 15 yr. old young buck looking for my help. Yes, I'm in the outdoor world as a writer, editor, photographer, but I can't think of a thing to help this young man aside from working retail at an outdoor store.
Can anyone think of anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Lackey,
I am trying to take advantage of my summer by finding an internship or part time job dealing something with the outdoors. I am trying to show on my college resume that I have passion for the outdoors. You seem to me to be well acquainted with the outdoor community around here. Do you have any ideas, and or contacts you could relay to me?
Thank you,

leader

I would think that he could work on food plots and explain the reason for putting them in and the benefit. If he was in Knoxville, I would employee him to do that if that would help him out....

gil1

leader said:
I would think that he could work on food plots and explain the reason for putting them in and the benefit. If he was in Knoxville, I would employee him to do that if that would help him out....
Interesting idea - thanks.

Outdoor life

This is great!

There are a few organizations that help students get summer jobs for high school studets, but you got to search for them (right off I can't think of the name). If he just wants something on his resume, tell him to volunteer for state parks, or something like that (a great resume builder). Also, some colleges will hire a summer technician from high school to aid with graduate students projects...my old college, Tennessee Tech in Cookeville did that.

I wish him luck, and if he really loves the outdoors, once he graduates here is some info you can pass to him: Tennessee Tech has a wildlife/fisheries science program (what I graduated with) and I really enjoyed that, so he may as well.

Hawk

There would no income but surely there are some volunteer groups that have projects at say Percy-Warner or other outdoor venues.

Maybe TWF, TWRA or Nature Conservatory have volunteer programs that would look good on a resume.

The last time I was in Nashville a group/organization were cleaning up Richarson Creek.

BigGameGuy

TWRA is investigating the development of a scaled down version of owr old intern program. It would still be based on using college students to conduct specific wildlife profects but our pay structure needs to be completely retooled. This probably could happen for at least another year but I am going to try everything in my power to bring something back. The intern program was a win-win situation for all those involved.

Diehard Hunter

I applaud him for wanting to get in there and get some experience. His biggest obstacle is going to be transportation (he can't drive) and liability. Since he is only 15, most insurance companies are not going to allow him to volunteer.

Now, with that said, he does have options. Most state parks have "friends" groups that do volunteer work in those state parks. He could join one of those and work in a local park. Also, he should look into local conservation groups like Ducks unlimited, NWTF, etc. they can also get him into the field doing work.

TAFKAP

gil1 said:
I got the below email from a 15 yr. old young buck looking for my help. Yes, I'm in the outdoor world as a writer, editor, photographer, but I can't think of a thing to help this young man aside from working retail at an outdoor store.
Can anyone think of anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Lackey,
I am trying to take advantage of my summer by finding an internship or part time job dealing something with the outdoors. I am trying to show on my college resume that I have passion for the outdoors. You seem to me to be well acquainted with the outdoor community around here. Do you have any ideas, and or contacts you could relay to me?
Thank you,

See if a land surveyor will hire him. It's not wildlife oriented, but it'll certainly get the kid outdoors. Furthermore, it'll give him some experience in understanding property boundaries, who owns what, and how you figure that out.

Deck78

Hi Gil,

My suggestion is he contact one of our local farmers that are utilizing small scale, non industrial farming methods and volunteer for the summer as an intern. I know most of the farmers I talk to are always looking for interns. Between learning how to grow and market food for direct sale to consumers, I don't think you can find a better learning environment.

jb3

Have him check out REI or even Cumberland Transit to see if they know of any programs. Maybe some type of summer camp where he'd have a place to stay, etc....

Latest posts