Outboard mechanics??

JBell

Have my eye on a boat. It’s worth the money just for the hull and trailer. Outboard says “no spark”. Compression is good on all cylinders. Am I wrong thinking this is just electrical and is a decently easy fix? Stator would be most challenging fix. Am I missing anything before I drop the money?

JBell

I posted this in the watercraft section but I’m not getting any responses. Thought it would draw more attention here

hillbillyfab

I know very little about outboards, other than fuel, fire and air. Now with that being said I’ve learned some brands fetch a premium when it comes to replacement parts, while others are more reasonable. If I was in the market and ran across what you say, “it’s worth the money for just the hull and trailer”, I’d be strongly considering it.

Spurhunter

Supporter
My main question is, if it has good compression, it can’t be a total waste, right?
If the boat and trailer are worth the money and the motor has good compression I would jump on it. I'm assuming it's an Optimax. I don't know much about those engines but you see a lot of them on the water.

JBell

Here’s the motor

Attachments

• 0AEA8B41-50F1-41F7-B33B-CE1FA04883EB.jpeg
    0AEA8B41-50F1-41F7-B33B-CE1FA04883EB.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 43

Pilchard

If I can’t see an outboard run wide open when purchasing the boat, the value of that outboard is $0. If the hull and trailer are then at a fair price, I would buy it knowing that it is likely that a repower needs to be budgeted for.

If it’s not a fair deal with the outboard considered worthless, let some other sucker buy the boat.

Spurhunter

Supporter
Here’s the motor
I'll stand by my comment. If you love the boat and the value of the boat and trailer is equal to the price, and the motor has good compression on all 6, I'd buy it. Best case scenario is you might get the motor running perfectly for nearly nothing. But buy it knowing you might have to spend several thousand on the motor.

JBell

Yea, I honestly think I could use pull the motor off of it and make a grand. But I hope I can figure this out and have a hell of a deal. It really wouldn’t hurt my feelings to repower it with 4stroke. But the hull is what I’m looking for. With the chance of it being a better deal than expected

Latest posts