Our little spot, let's see 'em

backyardtndeer

Not nearly as big as I used to plant, but it is a productive spot. Will be picking green beans in the next week.
20220611_115539_HDR-1.jpg

backyardtndeer

Where you guys get your t-stakes from?
I bought most of mine from tractor supply and rural king over the years. I have not bought any in a while. Last time I bought any, I think they were still less than $3 each for 6 footers. They messed up and gave me 6 1/2 foot t posts instead, didn't realize until I got home and unloaded them. The 6 1/2 work great for tomatoes. The plants will usually outgrow a 5 for post.

kckndrgn

No pics of the garden this year so far, I'll have to get one later today and post up.
Got green beans on arched cattle panel for trellises, they are just flowering so it will be a bit before I can start picking them. Tomatoes are doing great so far this year, almost every plant is loaded.
My 4 cucumber plants are producing 6-10 cucumbers per day right now, zucchini just started producing and the wife has been getting her daily fill of sugar snap peas.
"Knock on wood", so far I've avoided the squash bugs this year. Years past by this time in the season I was fighting a losing battle with the buggers. Last year I was taking my battery powered shop vac to suck up as many as I could find and still lost nearly every plant to the bastards!

backyardtndeer

"Knock on wood", so far I've avoided the squash bugs this year.
Stink bugs are usually the only bugs we have issues with in our squash or cucumbers. We didn't get squash in this year, but I have hit the cucumbers with sevin (new formula) and it seems to be doing well. Years past, have used both sevin(carbaryl, old formula) and Malathion.

backyardtndeer

Masked bandits hit us again last night, even with the dog loose. Never had an issue with them coming through my electric fence before this year. Think the fence kept the dog from getting to them. I went on and picked every ear that was close this morning. Fresh sweet corn for the fourth.
20220628_074229-1.jpg

WTM

we are abnormally dry again this year. not doing too much watering, except for tomatoes. just enough to keep everything alive waiting for the next rains.

big boy and better boy tomatoes looking good, loaded with little tomatoes. the high heat has hampered growth with jet stars but still setting fruit. no pests except deer yet.

B25E51BE-F5AD-414B-8E81-EF48BF59B313.jpeg

my wifes favorite green beans. i dont particularly care for green beans but these are good, mild and sweet. pick early for green beans or let them mature for shell beans. taylor dwarf hort. out of two rows i usually get a bushel and a half but this year probably half that.

6B987C57-DD6A-4922-942A-6B672C6FAFF9.jpeg

WTM

Not my favorite either, but the beans we plant aren't bad and are a bush type. We plant contenders, my wife and daughters love them.
i planted contenders for years but she likes these a lot better. i still plant a row or two to give away. planted slme bkue lakes this year. the deer seem to prefer them and they dont like drought either. probably wont plant them again.

Latest posts