• Help Support TNDeer:

Our Brilliant Elected Officials

DeerCamp

Supporter
The earth has been warmer. It's also had higher CO2. But I really want to know who was logging PH tests 50 million years ago and found that all that volcanic ash did not effect the PH of the ocean....

More Junk science
We just hit the highest CO2 concentrations in an estimated 4 million years (based on permafrost testing)

DeerCamp

Supporter
If what I was taught in middle school in the late 60s had come to fruition we'd all be dead now, under a polar ice cap. Then in the 70s it was acid rain that was gonna kill off all vegetation and we'd die from lack of oxygen. Then in the 80s ....... If I'm still around in 20 years I'm curious as Hell as to what can possibly be thought up that's gonna wipe us out. A space alien invasion would be on the plus side of believable.
You do realize that because of environmental policies and restrictions regarding air pollution, we (being Europe and American) have largely gotten rid of the threat?

It still occurs in other countries without good air quality.

This was a real, documented phenomenon that we changed course on. It's ironic that you would list it here.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
CO2 lags temperature
"An article in Science magazine illustrated that a rise in carbon dioxide did not precede a rise in temperatures, but actually lagged behind temperature rises by 200 to 1000 years. A rise in carbon dioxide levels could not have caused a rise in temperature if it followed the temperature." (Joe Barton, US House of Representatives (Texas) 1985-2019) - Full Statement

Earth’s climate has varied widely over its history, from ice ages characterised by large ice sheets covering many land areas, to warm periods with no ice at the poles. Several factors have affected past climate change, including solar variability, volcanic activity and changes in the composition of the atmosphere. Data from Antarctic ice cores reveals an interesting story for the past 400,000 years. During this period, CO2 and temperatures are closely correlated, which means they rise and fall together. However, based on Antarctic ice coredata, changes in CO2 follow changes in temperatures by about 600 to 1000 years, as illustrated in Figure 1 below. This has led some to conclude that CO2 simply cannot be responsible for current global warming.

Milankovitch_Cycles_400000.gif

Figure 1: Vostok ice core records for carbon dioxide concentration and temperature change.

Source

poorhunter

The earth has been warmer. It's also had higher CO2. But I really want to know who was logging PH tests 50 million years ago and found that all that volcanic ash did not effect the PH of the ocean....

More Junk science

Assumptions and presuppositions.

It’s like putting salt on French fries...without it they are bland and tasteless. Without assumptions and presuppositions science is...well, science and not scientism (junk science). With assumptions and presuppositions one can make data and observations say anything.

sun

CO2 lags temperature
"An article in Science magazine illustrated that a rise in carbon dioxide did not precede a rise in temperatures, but actually lagged behind temperature rises by 200 to 1000 years. A rise in carbon dioxide levels could not have caused a rise in temperature if it followed the temperature." (Joe Barton, US House of Representatives (Texas) 1985-2019) - Full Statement

Earth’s climate has varied widely over its history, from ice ages characterised by large ice sheets covering many land areas, to warm periods with no ice at the poles. Several factors have affected past climate change, including solar variability, volcanic activity and changes in the composition of the atmosphere. Data from Antarctic ice cores reveals an interesting story for the past 400,000 years. During this period, CO2 and temperatures are closely correlated, which means they rise and fall together. However, based on Antarctic ice coredata, changes in CO2 follow changes in temperatures by about 600 to 1000 years, as illustrated in Figure 1 below. This has led some to conclude that CO2 simply cannot be responsible for current global warming.

Milankovitch_Cycles_400000.gif

Figure 1: Vostok ice core records for carbon dioxide concentration and temperature change.

Source

The oceans and trees are carbon sinks which can store huge amounts of carbon, which may contribute to such a temperature lag.
At some point carbon sinks can become relatively full, which your source doesn't seem to mention at all.
I' couldn't find the word ocean even mentioned in the 2nd reference.

Last edited:

DeerCamp

Supporter
The oceans and trees are carbon sinks which can store huge amounts of carbon, which may contribute to such a temperature lag.
At some point carbon sinks can become relatively full, which your source doesn't seem to mention at all.
I' couldn't find the word ocean even mentioned in the 2nd reference.
Its almost as if there is a scientific explanation....

Latest posts