Original Mountain Cur

Remington700

Anybody on here hunt with Mountain curs? I just got a puppy back in October and will start hunting her after deer season. Any tips on how to start her out?

pressfit

I've had one for probably 14 years.. I tried everything under the sun to get her to tree.. for 2-3 years she wouldn't tree a biscuit.. then one day.. out of the blue.. she treed a house cat.. after that she would tree anything that she could find.. I don't know that you can train a dog to tree.. I think they either have it or not...

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I agree they have or they don't. I did have one once that I put a feeder full of sunflower seeds and corn out in sight of where I had my dog tied out and he really got to treeing off that feeder. I also had luck getting them to treeing coons then swapping over to squirrels. Whatever you do when they show interest then take them out every chance you get.

nwsg76

I have had several. Got an old male that will find something to tree as soon as he is turned out. Had a pup prior to him that took almost 2 years before he got it. Just as others said....just one day a light switch flipped and he stared treeing.
Best advice....find someone with a dog that is treeing and take yours along. Keep that pup in the woods. Not just an hour on weekends....Talking about every day or two.

Remington700

Thanks for the replies. What I have read is what you all are saying. That a switch flips and they just do it. She is already looking up and smelling a drug squirrel on the ground. Things look promising. When deer season is over we will start hitting the woods regularly.

Mike Belt

If a dog is interested in game... say a squirrel... why couldn't you tie a string to a squirrel, run it over a limb, and then drag the squirrel up the tree? Looks like that would give them a jumpstart.

Remington700

Mike, that is how you start them as pups is drag a squirrel to get interest. Also, pull it up the tree get them to go after it. That only goes so far though. You have to get them in the woods after the real thing.

Curdog#99

Got two. First dog was given to me. Smart dog. Took her to a training pen I'm Mississippi. Best $ 175 I ever spent. Second dog I raised off a Amish $20 cur fluffy kitten. Had 5 pups, wish I had kept them all. One I kept was a natural, was treeing at 6 months. Best tip I can suggest is the dog has to have drive and a kill desire. Doesn't have these, then a waste of time.

Latest posts