Opinions

Nsghunter

Would I be better off to try for a stalk hunt or a tree stand sit for a short hunt on Wed?

I hunt in East TN. I have hunted this particular WMA four times this year and have seen very little sign but I have harvested one doe this season and another buck two years ago. I know of an area that had a scrape during the rut and then a few small rubs near it. Other than these two areas I would simply be putting a stand up in an area that had good vantage points and shot opportunities.

I am unsure what food the deer are eating here right now. The property has some large bean fields and hay fields that have been harvested this Fall.

TheLBLman

Nsghunter":1msjg9l6 said:
Would I be better off to try for a stalk hunt or a tree stand sit for a short hunt on Wed?
I don't know the answer to that one.
But if you've never killed a lot of deer by "stalk" hunting,
that will likely be the lower odds choice for you.

Personally, the only time I would typically "stalk" hunt would be under windy conditions,
although I do normally "stalk" my hunting spots I "stand" hunt, particularly this time of year.

The deer will likely not be moving very far in linear distance, often less than 200 yards dawn to dusk (this time of year),
so slipping into an area, close enough to intercept any deer, unseen and unheard, can be challenging.
This can be particularly the case in early morning with hard frozen ground that crunches loudly with every step.

Roost 1

I'd watch the hayfields. Most likely any bean remnants are gone by now so the deer could be feeding on the grass in the hayfields. I wouldnt place any value on signs of the rut at this time of the year. It's all about food now.

Snake

I stalk or still hunt as some call it more later in the year than early on simply because movement is less during daylight hours . As some have said windy or wet days are your best bet the ground as cold as it is it will be difficult to slip up on a deer .

catman529

Stalk hunting sounds preferable in these cold temps, but then everything is frozen so you're walking on bags of Doritos if you try to go anywhere. If you got cut ag fields, I would pick a likely spot in the woods to hunt, hunt from the ground, then with 15-20 mins of shooting light left, creep into the fields and see if any deer are in the fields. Works for me

Latest posts