OPINIONS

scn

It won't. There is a warming trend forcast for the end of the week and some rain for the weekend, so the snow should be gone with the possible exception of some ETN mountains.

From what I am hearing it is shaping up to be somewhat of a "normal" spring rather than an "early" spring like we have had in recent years where it is in the "April lull" when it starts. JMO.

I remember many years ago where we had a 25" snow in Cocke Co. the Sunday after it opened. I had planned on going that next morning but passed due to the snow. A friend went and killed a bird that gobbled every step coming in. I learned not to pass up any opportunity.

catman529

I'm gonna be near the roost so I'm not worried about the weather. Rain showers and warmer temps for opening weekend. Just will worry about my gun rusting, that's all.

TheLBLman

scn said:
I remember many years ago where we had a 25" snow in Cocke Co. the Sunday after it opened. I had planned on going that next morning but passed due to the snow. A friend went and killed a bird that gobbled every step coming in. I learned not to pass up any opportunity.
Assume it was the same weekend approximately 20 years ago, although the heavy snow hit Stewart Co. a day earlier. It was the only time I've ever experienced turkey hunting in deep snow. I didn't hear or see a bird. But it had to have been the most beautiful snow I've ever seen in Tennessee ---- spring green-up had already started and we had this huge snow. It was nice to be out just to see nature's beauty.

Agree, don't pass on any opportunities. Some days are just better than others and in different ways.

Hollar Hunter

catman529 said:
I'm gonna be near the roost so I'm not worried about the weather. Rain showers and warmer temps for opening weekend. Just will worry about my gun rusting, that's all.

Soak her in wd40 and let it dry over night wipe off any excess oil and it will protect it from the elements. Just wipe it off when you get home with the same rag you used and your good to go

catman529

Hollar Hunter said:
catman529 said:

Soak her in wd40 and let it dry over night wipe off any excess oil and it will protect it from the elements. Just wipe it off when you get home with the same rag you used and your good to go
it has a light coat of rem oil, not sure if I'd want to use WD40 honestly, do you think I should put extra rem oil and let it soak in overnight before wiping it off?

scn

Wes Parrish said:
scn said:
Assume it was the same weekend approximately 20 years ago, although the heavy snow hit Stewart Co. a day earlier. It was the only time I've ever experienced turkey hunting in deep snow. I didn't hear or see a bird. But it had to have been the most beautiful snow I've ever seen in Tennessee ---- spring green-up had already started and we had this huge snow. It was nice to be out just to see nature's beauty.

Agree, don't pass on any opportunities. Some days are just better than others and in different ways.

I hate to date myself any more, but it was probably in 1985 or 86. I came to Nashville in 1988, and it was at least a couple of years ahead of that. It was a wild 2-3 days before it melted off.

TheLBLman

Hey, SCN, could have easily have been about 25 or 26 or 27 years ago instead of "approximately 20 years ago". Time seems to just keep going by faster, and faster. :(

All I know is I had never before experienced deep snow during TN's turkey season, nor I have I since that one time. My experience was in Stewart County, and it was on the opening day of that year's turkey season. Typically, far East TN gets a similar weather pattern a day or two later, meaning Sunday/Monday would be about right for that snow to hit Cocke County.