Opinions on shooting jakes

Andy S.

Killed several in my beginning years, and proud of them, but my opinion is they should be reserved for kids/juveniles (easy to enforce) and for beginners (no viable way to enforce this, just my opinion). Just know there are few poults that make it to jakes every year, and even fewer jakes that make it to the much sought after gobbling two year olds that provide so many with so much fun and excitement. Pick your poison.

CritterGitter

You were excited enough to pull the trigger , you did the right thing !!! Heck I think three years ago I had climbed up in my deer stand five minutes later I shot a spike with my bow, one of the best eating deer I've killed.

REM7

If its legal and you want to kill it then do so. I think its the hunter's discretion. I prefer mature gobblers. But that is just me.

woodsman04

I don't think there are enough jakes killed to make much of a difference. Don't bother me as long as people don't shoot them just because it's legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalsPal

The 82 yr old gentleman that we hunt with in middle TN a few times a year laughs at me, almost with contempt, when I tell him most of the time i won't shoot a jake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

PalsPal":19pl3cbr said:
The 82 yr old gentleman that we hunt with in middle TN a few times a year laughs at me, almost with contempt, when I tell him most of the time i won't shoot a jake.

I think a lot of people in that generation feel similar. They came up when there weren't enough turkeys to be picky. In one of his books Tom Kelly mentions that there use to be no such thing as "jakes." There were young gobblers and old gobblers and they were treated just the same.

Latest posts