opinions on muzzle brakes

tahtah

My recent post about 7mm-08 took me down a side path of exploring muzzle brakes. It sounds like the advantage is recoil reduction and reduced barrel rise. The disadvantage is a significantly louder bang, so much so that ear protection is an absolute necessity.

What are the forum's thoughts on muzzle brakes?

TNRifleman

I loathe them unless I am shooting something with recoil that is approaching 30 ft lbs. They definitely work to reduce recoil, keep you on target and spot shots but in a hunting situation the increased noise is just not worth it to me. And I HATE shooting next to guys at the range using brakes. A 7-08 has negligible recoil and a brake would not be necessary at all in my opinion.

Mr.Bro

Agree with TNRifleman 100%.
Got a 700 in 7MMSTW. Don't want to ever shoot it again. Hearing aides much needed now. Used cheap ear protection to many years.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
If you get a muzzle brake, be mindful if anyone else is nearby when you touch it off. It's bad enough for the shooter, but more concussion and noise gets thrown on bystanders than anyone else. No fun being at the range next to someone shooting a braked rifle

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have only had one with a brake.
Browning A Bolt in 7mm rem mag.
You could shoot it off the bench and never lose the target in your sight picture.
It was really amazing.
Loud doesn't even begin to define it though. :D
Never shot it at paper without ear muffs.

I did kill one deer with it though (never thought about hearing protection in the stand back then) and just like every deer I have ever shot with a rifle I don't think I even heard it. Odd how that is.

bigtex

Only firearm I have a brake on is my T/C Contender in 30-30 AI. It makes a big difference in recoil and muzzle jump especially shooting off the bench. But it is LOUD!!!!!
I take it off when I hunt with it, I couldn't imagine shooting it inside a shooting house with it on as I do not wear hearing protection when I hunt.

Deer-N-Spurs

I have one on a 300 Win Mag. The perceived recoil is less than my .30-06. I use ears when shooting paper and if I am in a shooting house. I am planning on putting one on a .350 Legend I just bought for my 8 year old daughter.

Biggest thing is, they work. You just have to be willing to accept the price, in this case a very loud price.

Woodman

Don't care for muzzle brakes myself.........too much muzzle blast to contend with IMO.

I've had the opportunity to buy guns (rifles and pistols) at very good prices and turned them down because they had a muzzle brake. That's a deal-buster for me. And a couple of times I came to find out that was why they were being sold.......owners didn't like the muzzle blast.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I had never had one but had a 300 win mag built and they put one on it and honestly it's like shooting a .223. Only gun I own with one but for that application it is great. Don't think I'd put one on any of my other rifles.

DaveB

I have a 300 WinMag Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS. It is indeed loud and with my IMR7828 loads it throws enough sideways flame to set grass afire. And you can't have anyone near you at the range.

But yeah, it tames recoil to less than a 243 shooting 95 NBTs.

I finally upgraded my BOSS to the no-brake model and INSTANTLY recalled why I own 3 PAST recoil pads.

Jmed

I was gonna put one on my .300winn. Had an old timer tell me if I shot it one time in the woods with out hearing protection, I would permanently damage my hearing. So I decided not to. My AR10 has one and its not even funny at the range

Mausermeister

Shooting 3 gun for years with a Miculek brake ruined them for me. They're just so unpleasant. I prefer to shoot with suppressors now.
You and me both. I have gone so far as to remove the muzzle brakes from most of my rifles and replaced them with thread protectors or flash cans. I haven't shot a 3 gun match in 3 years since I got my head screwed back on straight -- literally. Four bulged discs. Now I got a neck full of titanium plates and screws. I mostly shoot subsonic suppressed now. It seems the older I get, the less I enjoy the noise and blast to the face.

Travis G.

I have one on my 300 win mag. Makes a huge difference in recoil. I love it for shooting at the range and working up a load. I take it off for hunting and put on a thread protector. I have not noticed any difference in point of impact.