Opinions on Leupold

deerkiller300wsm

Looking at replacing my old elite 3200 with a Leupold with CDS. I have a vx2 but looking at the vx3i. This is going on a hunting rifle, a 300wsm to be exact. Is anyone running the vx3i, vx5hd or vx6???

Talome13

According to some forums, Leupold is equivalent to a Tasco. I have never had a Leupold let me down. I have VX-2, VX3, VX3i and VX6's. Love every one of then

DaveB

I have 3 Vari X III's. two on 300 WinMags and one on my 06.

They have never failed me. I wish the price was lower I would not own any other.

My A-bolt 300 VxIII has NEVER been adjusted after sighting in. It shoots 180 Partitions 1.5 inches high, Nosler Book max load IMR7828 and ther are over 400 rounds down the tube.

rtaylor

I've got the VX-6 with the custom turrets and it is an awesome scope. Scope tracks very well and it is super clear. I haven't looked through the VX 3i to give an opinion on it.

REN

I have the vx3i on my 7mm08 and I'm very happy with it. From a glass and use it's great, wish it had a few more features like turret options and what not but that's just more on a cool factor for me.

280longshot

Not sure what your budget is but the VX3i is all you'll need for hunting.
Of course I like the glass in my Zeiss better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just picked up a vx5hd 3-15x44 for my Dad's new rifle and it's pretty awesome. The glass is great and it's relatively lightweight for what it is. I own scopes from Nightforce, Zeiss, Vortex and Leupold currently and I'd rate the vx5hd near/at the top of them all.

TennSportsman

I run a couple of vx6's, and they are solid scopes. If your on a budget, go with the vx3i. I have one on my 7mm-08 with CDS but haven't contacted them to get my custom dial on any of them YET. It does the job for that little rifle. For a 300 wsm, I would get the vx6 if you can afford it. It is a great scope but make sure you have great rings with it. Another option is the vx-R. They have similar glass to the vx3i and some say it's not as good, but I can't tell much of a difference. Illumination comes in handy in the moment you need it.

Hunter 257W

I've got a bunch of Leupold scopes but none of the real high $ models. I see no reason for them for 99% of shooting. It's gotten popular to think you have to spend at least 2 or 3 months gross pay on a scope but in my opinion a lot of that is just for One Upping the next guy to have bragging rights. I got one of the VX-1 3x9-40's to put on my old Marlin 336 35 Remington last year and can see nothing lacking with it myself so far. I have at least one or maybe 2 of the old VariX III models and they are somewhat brighter than the VariX II's but it's not like the VariX II is significantly worse or unusable in comparison. I have several of them and love them - they've never let me down yet. You don't have to spend yourself into the poor house to get a good quality scope regardless of current thinking. :) For a hunting scope $400 to $500 is about the point of diminishing return where spending more results in just getting rid of money for little gain.

Regarding durability I put a VariX-II on my Weatherby Mark V 460 Mag back in 1987 and it's been shot hundreds of times - about half of which have been full power 500 grain loads and that scope is still absolutely reliable in holding point of impact.

JArender

My most recent scope purchase was a vx5hd cds fd Prior to it was a leica eri and a night force shv. And for the money the leupold vx5hd is hard to beat. Esp with the cds and fire dot. I can tell just a little bit more clarity the last four or 5 mins with the leica. But it was almost twice as expensive. Now they are on sale at EuroOptic for almost tge same as the vx5hd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtaylor

I've got a Vx-6 with the CDS and it is pretty awesome. I stopped by Cabelas this morning and looked through the VX-3i and it looked good too but everything looks good in the store.

Jowens

For a set it and forget it scope, they are fantastic and the glass in even the VX1 is decent. VX2 glass is nice and I could be happy with all of my TN hunting with it.

If you want to do a bunch of target/steel shooting where you'll be dialing a lot, they are one of the last scopes I would be using.

John.M

I have VX-1, VX-2, and the Mark-AR on several rifles. For me, I will not buy anything else. My ML sports a Zeiss that came on it.

Nsghunter

I had my my Vx3 out at 30 minutes past legal sunset and I could see very well. I wish I would've had a deer to be able to tell you for sure but I was very happy with it. Mine is the pre-cds, pre vx3i models but I'm not sure the difference in the glass. It looks very nice when you look through it. I wear glasses and I feel the eye relief is sufficient as well.

Tiny

Agree with all.I still prefer Denver Redfields but have Lepolds n there Redfields.. Will be getting another one before long.

PillsburyDoughboy

I have a lot of history with Leupold . Amazing scopes . Never have to make adjustments season to season unless it's a major bump or something . I've had a couple I've never touched the dial on in 30 years .

With that said with the upper end V6 and the V3i you are only getting marginal better glass . Marginal better light transmission . Be realistic . Under LEGAL shooting conditions even the VXII are superior to a great many of the scopes out there . THE VXR are highly under rated scopes and a great value IMHO . Some people say they are using the VX3 glass in them . Not sure if that is true but it's pretty sharp to my picky eye.

Latest posts