Opinions on .223

HOOK

So... any of you folks out there use an AR platform for hunting? Pros/Cons.. Best round? Im used to the knock down I have with a win mag, but not sure how a .223 would perform. Thoughts?

mike243

I have shot several with it, 62g farthest 100-125y , no lost deer could double tap if it was a very large deer, hard to double tap with my 300wm bolt gun lol

DaveB

I have an Axis bolt 223 that shoots 60 gr partitions into a single raggedy hole at 100 yards....it will definitely kill deer. Nosler is now producing a 70 gr .224 Accubond and I am trying to find an accurate load for it, time will tell.

In our AR the 60 partition shoots well enough to kill but (in our weapon) I would not stretch the distance much past 100 yards.
The recipe is 25 gr of H335, Fed GM205MAR primer, 60 gr Partition, using SAAMI spec for OAL.

ROVERBOY

I don't have it in AR platform but, have it in a Savage 110E. Its accurate and I've killed a couple young bucks (around 90 lbs.) with it. Did ok. Loaded Sierra 55 gr. spritzers. Never tried Partitions. I have some Win. 64 gr. soft points that I've loaded and shot but, never used on deer.

Jcalder

After shooting the same deer three times, twice in the neck and it still trying to get up, there will not be another 223 taken by anyone with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike243

Jcalder":3rvul10a said:
After shooting the same deer three times, twice in the neck and it still trying to get up, there will not be another 223 taken by anyone with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shot a 7pt years ago running and broke it down in the rear, was shooting a 30-06 with 150g bullets, tried to finish it off with a neck shot, still flopping around, its not always the bullet but things happen, neck was broken by the bullet so not sure how it could still flop. I don't demand anything other than somebody be safe when they hunt with me :tu:

mike243

Also if I am hunting somewhere where I know shots can be well past 100y I take another rifle, use to be a 243 but 300wm or my savage smokeless these days, son totes the 243 or 3030 and suspect the grandson will tote the 243 this season.

MickThompson

There are many other calibers I would choose first even if it may be adequate. A bigger bullet will generally carry and deliver more energy even if it's moving a little slower. You'll also have more options for sturdy, expanding bullets.

LY

We used partitions in an H&R youth and it did fine on the one killed here. It killed several in TX along with a bunch of pigs that got ear holed.

Best thing about AR's is the ability to change calibers with a new upper. I built one using a 6.8 ARP barrel and love it, 5/8" groups with cheap factory ammo.

Do some searches for deer hunting with an AR for some calibers to choose from (I recommend 6.8) and make your choice. Sounds like a great excuse to buy/build a new upper and therefore get a "new" rifle.

Plateau Hunter

ARs are perfect for hunting...rugged, reliable, accurate...my hunting AR is a 6.5 but my boys and I have killed quite a few whitetails with a .223 AR and bolt rifle too. For factory ammo at a good price point I like the 64g Winchester PowerPoint...drawback...not much of a blood trail if they run..but if hit properly they fall in sight or bam flop ime...

HOOK

Guess I'll stick with the win-mag. Even though most of my shots are under 50 yards, I know what it can do T distance if I have too. Thanks guys.

bvoss

We've killed a 5 point ( late season cull buck at 100 yards), an 8 point( my sons first deer at 130 yds), and a yearling doe( 30 yard shot)with our DPMS. 62 grain Winchester power points. The two bucks both dropped in their tracks. The Doe ran 50 yards and piled up. I wouldn't hesitate as long as you keep it 100 yards and in. The 130 range was likely pushing its maximum range. That one was actually my sons first deer believe it or not!

Attachments

• CF00D079-38C3-4062-A12F-1D8FF7C0B0DC.jpeg
    CF00D079-38C3-4062-A12F-1D8FF7C0B0DC.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,706

Latest posts