Opening weekend - What time do u get in the blind?

megalomaniac

Here in MS, it's rare I have a bird roosted. As such, I get to my listening spots 45 min before sunrise, then haul butt to the gobble.

In TN, it's rare I don't have a bird roosted, AND have to cross open fields to get into position. As such, I'm set up 75 to 100y from him 1.5h before official sunrise in pitch black dark.

Setterman

Blind, hahahahaha. if my turkey hunt consisted of crawling in a blind like a deer hunter I'd quit immediately. God this sport has gotten stupid, it used to be what time you get to your listening spot, how are you approaching to be quiet, or how far is your hike.

Now it's all about blinds, decoy spreads, and long range shells. Disgusting

MickThompson

Blind, hahahahaha. if my turkey hunt consisted of crawling in a blind like a deer hunter I'd quit immediately. God this sport has gotten stupid, it used to be what time you get to your listening spot, how are you approaching to be quiet, or how far is your hike.

Now it's all about blinds, decoy spreads, and long range shells. Disgusting
But tell us what decoy spread you'll lead off with

Southern Sportsman

But tell us what decoy spread you'll lead off with
I wanted to add a couple dozen to my spread this year, but turkey decoys have gotten expensive. I already had a bunch of full body snow goose decoys, so I bought some bronze and black spray paint and made me a haram of hens. Already had a half-dozen avian strutting jakes and I rigged up two pull cords to add some movement. Should be all set now.

I figure as long as I get there an hour before sunrise, I can drive them to the field, stake them out using the headlights on my truck, then back my truck to the edge of the field and be in the blind before the first gobble.

MickThompson

I wanted to add a couple dozen to my spread this year, but turkey decoys have gotten expensive. I already had a bunch of full body snow goose decoys, so I bought some bronze and black spray paint and made me a haram of hens. Already had a half-dozen avian strutting jakes and I rigged up two pull cords to add some movement. Should be all set now.

I figure as long as I get there an hour before sunrise, I can drive them to the field, stake them out using the headlights on my truck, then back my truck to the edge of the field and be in the blind before the first gobble.
@Setterman secret weapon for those mountain birds. Gotta have the 4x4 model 7D58562E-E12C-4F34-833C-895267F4D3A5.jpeg

catman529

I probably won't bother trying to roost one unless I get a wild hair at the last minute. I got the gist of where I'm going to hunt opening day, and picked my listening spot. I'll be there early as I think I need to