One Osceola Down, One More To Go!

Stoner

One Osceola down, one to go. I was not able to hunt the first two days of the season, so I got out this morning for the first time. Had a light drizzle this morning, knew the birds would be later than usual. Heard a gobble way to the south of where I was sitting, and I answered with seven fast yelps on the box call. Did not get an answer. Fifteen minutes later I yelp again the box call and got multiple gobblers that were a lot closer. Yelp again and got immediate gobbles but a lot closer than last time. They came out of the wood line and was coming straight to me. Put down the call and got the gun up on my knee and they stop almost in range and almost out of range (no man�s land). They cluck and cluck and walk back and forth but did not come closer. I could not move and pick the call back up; they turned and started to walk away. When they had their backs to me, I put down the gun and picked up the friction call and did two soft purrs and they turned and came right back into gun range. Shot what appeared to be the largest gobbler and he dropped. The other two gobblers did not run off but stayed and clucked for several minutes. I could have killed all three several times over. I will be out there tomorrow before work.

Not in focus, photos of the other two Osceolas.
P1020852_zps383e0a43.jpg

P1020854_zps68fb6eb7.jpg

P1020856_zps05fabe36.jpg

P1020861_zps96db917d.jpg

My oldest Seminole (FSU), with Chief Osceola on her hat.

P1020864_zpsafd90b41.jpg

Bushy 10.5� beard.

P1020868_zps96b1cd03.jpg

Luke, hey Dad what did you bring home.
P1020873_zpsbd741ab4.jpg

Stoner

Grizzly Johnson said:
Congrats Stoner..... good bird and a nice looking dog as well. Good luck on the next one!!

Griz how are you doing? How is the team doing this year? I will be up your way the end of April to chase some mountain birds.

Grizzly Johnson

Stoner said:
Grizzly Johnson said:
Congrats Stoner..... good bird and a nice looking dog as well. Good luck on the next one!!

Griz how are you doing? How is the team doing this year? I will be up your way the end of April to chase some mountain birds.

I'm makin it.... can't really complain. Got another good group this spring, I expect a good showing again this spring. Had a couple of guys get a jump on the birds in other states but the birds were playing hard to get.....

Good luck on your trip.... holler at me a little closer to your time to be in Tn.

Hawk

Congratulations on your bird. Hope you get the second one.

Your matching camo outfit looks like mine. :cool:

Stoner

Hawk said:
Congratulations on your bird. Hope you get the second one.

Your matching camo outfit looks like mine. :cool:

You are right I have never been accused of being a good dresser.

Latest posts