One more job comparison

Andy S.

Pre-COVID, 27 miles one way, or essentially 45 minutes from house to desk. Been working remotely since 18Mar20, but will phase back into a hybrid schedule in the coming months with a few days in office and a few at home.

Steverino

Supporter
Back in the 1990s when working for GE it was an hour easy. One of the good things about leaving that job besides cutting travel was my new job was 20 min to 1/2 hr one way. And at times I could work from home in an emergency.

Laserman1

Supporter
Depends on whether it’s Nashville, Atlanta, or Columbia day all from Chattanooga.

jb3

normally 41 miles one way. around 40 minutes going there in the morning (try to leave the house by 6:00 a.m.), closer to 50 minutes going home (5:15ish). Some days I have to take Briley Pkwy to go around Downtown Nashville to avoid a wreck which adds about 7 miles.

KPH

Supporter
Before I retired I had no idea how far I would go to the next service call sometimes a couple hundred miles. We didn't have to go to the office of a morning.

casjoker

Supporter
41 miles and about 40-50 minutes depending on traffic. Fortunately, it's about 98% highway. I really wish they would make I-75 between Knoxville and Chattanooga 6 lanes. Seems to be a lot of traffic out there these days.

Coltens

I have 20 miles and 22 minute drive unless I get behind a tractor or something else going slower than 50 mph.

jameseboy

When I was in my 20s I had a job with an hour commute each way. I said never again. That’s 500 hours every year I co7ld be spending with family or doing things I enjoyed. Never lived more than 10 or 15 minutes away again. 30 years times 500 hours a year is a lot of time

7mm08

7-25 min depending on what hospital ( 5 ) I went to and if there was an emergency cut those by a 1/4 of the time. Passed a many state troopers parked on the side of the road at 3AM with my emergency blinkers going.

Two things.
At 0300 in Knoxville only drunks and heart surgeons are on the road was our favorite saying ……

Another story of “ driving to work”. A patient started bleeding after surgery. ( it happens) and my surgeon was flying into get the patient back to surgery. A state trooper gets in behind him with lights flashing. The surgeon pulls up to the front door at the hospital, gets out , hands the trooper his license and says….. ticket me or not but I’m going inside now, and ran in!

Enjoy your ride in with coffee in your hand and the radio going this morning.

Last edited:

Mag

Working from home for well over a year now but if I need to go into the office office it’s about 15 min max. I’ll begin traveling again in January so that will change things a bit.