• Help Support TNDeer:

On the board my first buck!

Mag

I'll try not to be too long winded but here goes... a friend of mine gave me permission to hunt his place as long as I shared some meat = deal! I figured this year will be more of a scouting year and learning the layout, deer patterns etc so I set up a few buddy stands, cameras and a small foot plot (that didn't work too well but I'll figure it out) two days ago I hunted a few hours in the evening and saw three does. Today I decided to take part of the day off and try a morning sit to see if anything was moving. I saw four does at close range but there wasn't an opportunity for a shot then I look off to my right and I see a larger body easing across a creek ditch then he proceeded to start rubbing a small sapling. He was about 45 yards out and there were too many branches between us for an ethical shot. So I'm thinking I'll chalk this up to learning his pattern and maybe try one of the other stands the next time. About 30 minutes later I catch movement near the top of a hill as the sunlight was peaking through and could tell it was working it's way toward me. Eventually it worked it's way to a nearby sappling and started rubbing away. . There was a large tree between us so I was anxiously waiting for him to step out into a small window where I could place my shot. To my surprise he turned and went the opposite direction which placed him in the perfect position for a 25 yard broadside! My shot was a bit farther back than planned but was still a double lung passthrough. I heard the connection and watched him run about 40 yards, stop then fall. This is my first buck and I am super blessed. My Dad passed away 6 years ago and today is his birthday so I wonder if he was helping me out a little?

Attachments

• Buck2 rub.jpg
    Buck2 rub.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 827
  • Buck1.jpg
    Buck1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 827
  • Buck3.jpg
    Buck3.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 827
Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

clwg97

Nice deer! It was a gorgeous morning in the woods today! Your dad was definitely helping you out!

Mag

huntintn":3ec0vc58 said:
When you have it mounted, do not remove that bark from those antlers.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. Going to euro mount it.

Latest posts