On my soapbox again...

rukiddin

Are you saying sitting in a heated box 100 yards from a pile of corn in the road isn't sporty? But hey IF those " management bucks" pay the bills and keeps the developers away..... I'm all for it.

I don't really care if it's sporty or not. Lol. The biggest draw back to me is outfitters acting like you're doing them a favor but yet you still pay.

Rackseeker

Me too. I know a few guys who won't shoot an old bruiser because he's missing tines or just over the hill & not as impressive. Not me. I like those old survivors & fighters.

I was hunting a big 10pt a couple years ago, had him come by one morning with one side of his rack broke off. I let him walk and haven't seen him since. I was sick for a while.

I only kill very mature B/C or MAYBE P/Y bucks on heavy pressured PUBLIC land! With my bow.
From the ground! While self filming.
In mosquito infested swamps!
Wearing a loin cloth!

(Actually let me correct that.. I kill as many legal deer as I can, with my bow, mostly on public, some private, and enjoy killing every one of them)
(And then enjoy giving the meat to people who want it but have no idea how to get it)

BSK...after all these years, we STILL agree!

Hymie3

Hunting shows are about selling product.. period. I stopped watching few years ago after I realized it's nothing but a big commercial for whatever product. If you only want to shoot big bucks fine. If you want to shoot young bucks, fine. They taste better anyway. And neither is as good as a fat doe!

TheLBLman

Hunting shows are about selling product.. period.
Truer words never said.
Albeit, SOME times, the products CAN be more worthy than gimmick.
More rarely, the "product" COULD be the show itself, in which all the negatives of a particular product would be greatly elaborated. How often have you seen that?

The problem is that we have typically had to buy those products, use them ourselves, before determining they were as much or more a liability as an asset.

That's how I generally feel about turkey decoys, i.e. overall more liability than asset (at least to me).
Yep, there are exceptions. It's just that they make "marketing" videos of "hunting" mainly on those "exceptions", without showing the more consistent general pitfalls of using a particular product.

A renowned fisherman (with his own TV show) could take a new bass lure, cast it 10,000 times over a week, catch 10 bass, then put that "catch" footage in a 20-minute video. Everyone wants that new lure, because they saw it work wonderfully 10 times in 20 minutes. But maybe, maybe even likely, he could have caught more bass, with fewer casts, simply by using a different "old" lure or method.

Last edited:

BSK

That's how I feel about many products highly touted for deer hunting these days LBLman, especially any type of "call" or decoy used to draw deer closer to the hunter. Yes, we've all seen, and even possibly experienced, a positive response to using such equipment/techniques, but I've watched deers' reaction to these things many, many times, and the vast majority of times the reaction is negative.

TheLBLman

Kinda like bottled deer pee sold at a high price.

In many situations, "free" human pee works just as well.
In many situations, estrous doe urine (i.e. the really "good" stuff!) spooks does, which then in turn carry away the buck that was just about to walk into your shooting lane behind that doe.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Amen brother. The one I hate from hunters is when their text, email, post, thread, etc starts out with "This isn't my biggest buck, but.........". Stop it already. Quit trying to defend the darn buck before you have had time to share it with friends/family. Be proud and thankful you have the health and opportunity to hunt period, and extra proud for success in the woods, regardless of what you come out with.
And then clean him and eat that rascal!!!

moondawg

I haven't been hunting in several years. The last time I actually went hunting was probably 2014, maybe 2015. That said, I would let small bucks walk, especially early in the MZ/gun season. However, I wasn't as picky when December came around. If a small buck came in range, and if I felt like gutting and dragging, I shot it. I hunted to fill the freezer more than my wall.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Hamburger: 4$ per lbs.
I ground up over 100 lbs. Of venison last year, free beef fat from grocery butcher and a little work...that there friends is cost analysis at its finest!!! Organic, leaner, cleaner, cheaper,healthier, and cheaper...

Tn_Va_Hunter

Great thread. For me And my area. A 130 inch is rare. I hunt because I enjoy it. I love hunting and taking my son. If the deer makes me happy or my son. We shoot. I'm not worried about score or filling tags. I simply enjoy being out in God's country.