older bucks???

wobblegobble

Is it common for the older bucks or the biggest buck on a property to run solo in the early months? The last 3 years the best deer on camera is never in a bachelor group.

Shed Hunter

Common? Depends how you define common. I wouldn't say it's uncommon to see a mature buck by himself, but it certainly isn't uncommon to see a big bucks with little bucks during the summer and even post rut. I've found that after the rut some older bucks (usually 3.5) will hang out with a specific 1.5 year old buck. It almost seems like the older buck is acting like a mentor to the young buck.

JCDEERMAN

They each have their own personality. I have a 6 1/2 on camera that I have had on camera since he was a 2 1/2. Not until recently did he hang around any other deer. He's a loner for the most part. Not rare but somewhat. I'd say just as common as loners are in humans.

Boll Weevil

W.Seay said:
Our mature bucks are alone %99 of the time
Mr. Seay,
This is interesting to me...I wonder what drives this behavior or if it is simply individual personaities an nothing more. Any clue? Does deer density, buck density, buck/doe ratio have anything to do with it?

BSK

Boll Weevil said:
W.Seay said:
Our mature bucks are alone %99 of the time
Mr. Seay,
This is interesting to me...I wonder what drives this behavior or if it is simply individual personaities an nothing more. Any clue? Does deer density, buck density, buck/doe ratio have anything to do with it?

I would bet deer density plays a huge role in that.

W.Seay

Our young bucks ( 1.5,2.5 and 3.5) are commonly photographed together but our mature buck (4.5 and older) are rarely ever seen with other bucks. Even during the summer, the mature bucks are with does or alone. As far as buck to doe ratio, for the last 4-5 seasons, we see 2 bucks for every doe. Although what we as hunters see and what really is, can be two completely different things. I will say that with a very large quantity of game cameras running for 5 months a year, our buck photos more than double doe photos.

BSK

W.Seay said:
Bryan, can you tell me how deer density fits into the equation? I don't understand, Thanks

The lower the deer density, the less need and opportunity for physical interactions between deer. Just a numbers thing.

Latest posts