Old School 1998 Honda 300 Fourtrax Brakes

Roadracer6

Figured I would try posting in here. I have an old warrior, 1998 honda 300 fourtrax 2wd that my dad got brand new and I purchased it from him in 2002. Quad has been through hell riding in old stripper pits in Indiana for years and hunting. Both the front brakes and the rear brakes are absolutely shot. I got new pads thinking it would help but they were all seized up/rusted and ruined. I tried getting the rear drum off yesterday and broke the drum. The quad is great (honda) but the brakes are the worst. Ive been riding it for yrs without them utilizing the granny 1st gear to stop. I really don't want to fork out a ton of money getting the brakes going but would love to pickup a used set somewhere. Problem is its so old and I haven't had any luck. Anybody have a recommendation? The front wheels are off a 2002 honda forman 450 4x4 so they are a bit larger than stock. I put those on after adding some mud tires on the back that raised it up and needed to level it out.
Thanks for any help!

gtk

Staff member
i had the same issue on my 96 trx 300. i completely rebuilt the front brakes, and put new pads on rear. Almost didnt get rear drum off, and broke several bolts.

I dont know where you are located, but i found a junkyard for atv's in pipertown? north of collierville. I also had to buy some other stuff due to my mistake (ended up replacing the entire innards for the rear-end). Anyway, i would prob do a conversion to disc brakes if i had to do it over again. If your not up to that, I would start looking for parts bikes

Andy S.

If you plan to ride it in mud and water, go disc brake conversion for sure. Honda makes a great machine, but they have been at the back of the pack for years with their brakes.

Roadracer6

Thanks for the info guys. Yea the disc brakes is a no go for the front because even though I have larger wheels they are the factory honda steel wheels. I could retrofit something I'm sure but definitely not that motivated. May end up trying to find the whole assembly and replace what I have. Time will tell.

gtk

Staff member
you mentioned putting larger rims on. I think if you have > 12" rims you will be fine with disc brake conversion. Or you can do as others do, and just buy some spacers and use them to offset the rim a little

megalomaniac

Just seeing this.... I did the same thing on a Honda 300 2wd I bought off the classifieds here about 5 years ago. Rear drum completely seized to the axle, had to use an oxyacetelyne torch to cut the plate off the spindle. Used a Dremel tool to clean up the splines, then put new plate, drum, pads, and cover on it. Works as new. Just bought new pistons and pads for the front brakes. I think I spent $50 to rebuild the front brakes and $250 for a complete rear rebuild. I went with original as this bike will not ever be in water.

But if you are going to get the brakes under water, definitely go with disc brakes.

Kimber45

Andy is spot on, as usual. I parked my Ole 3004wd under the duck blind one day.. skim of ice going in. Went home that night, left the 300 in my truck as we would hunt the next AM.. and it had dropped into the low 20's. Honda would not back up, kept squatting when I'd gas it (don't know HOW I didn't bust a ujoint gassing it)... rear drum was full of water where I'd parked it under the blind in the water... and froze :)

Latest posts