Old hickory

Tanelson43

I will be making the trip to old hickory this weekend for the US bass open tournament. I have never even seen this Lake before, but have been doing alot of research. I really haven't found much for this time of year. Anyone here bass fish there often and might mention a good area to look at this time of year? Thanks guys!

mike52

This time of year I would hit the drops on the channel. In the past I like the drops and humps at river mile 226-227 ( after they start pulling water somewhere between 8-10 am.) Mile 231/2-232 would be good early shallow
(buzz baits -spook ) also has good drops.

Tanelson43

This time of year I would hit the drops on the channel. In the past I like the drops and humps at river mile 226-227 ( after they start pulling water somewhere between 8-10 am.) Mile 231/2-232 would be good early shallow
(buzz baits -spook ) also has good drops.
That is great information man, thank you! Will definitely check these places out on Friday!

mike52

Also down by the dam at mm 217 there is a small hump west of the channel in 20 ft right off the main channel. DB 22 time, if they are there you will get you will pull some pounds

TNReb

The lake is tough right now. Typical September conditions and lots of pressure.

Volunteer Bass Trail was here two weeks ago and Adam Wagner and his teammate won with 16lbs. Adam Wagner is one of the best fishermen in the state. They won by almost a full pound, and were over 2lbs ahead of 5th place (of about 55 boats)

You could try offshore humps like mike52 suggested, but that is largely dependent on current (and I doubt there will be much). Unfortunately those fish are also just as pressured as the shallow fish. Offshore fishing has been tough all year.

I would be more inclined to turn the trolling motor on, fish moving baits, stay shallow, and hope to catch 5 dumbs ones on reaction bites.

Which ramp is the tournament out of?

NumberOne

Might want to check out some bluff walls. Caught some keepers and one good one off them last weekend.

Tanelson43

The lake is tough right now. Typical September conditions and lots of pressure.

Volunteer Bass Trail was here two weeks ago and Adam Wagner and his teammate won with 16lbs. Adam Wagner is one of the best fishermen in the state. They won by almost a full pound, and were over 2lbs ahead of 5th place (of about 55 boats)

You could try offshore humps like mike52 suggested, but that is largely dependent on current (and I doubt there will be much). Unfortunately those fish are also just as pressured as the shallow fish. Offshore fishing has been tough all year.

I would be more inclined to turn the trolling motor on, fish moving baits, stay shallow, and hope to catch 5 dumbs ones on reaction bites.

Which ramp is the tournament out of?
It is out of sanders ferry park. This is definitely more of our style. My partner went and fished that volunteer tourney just to see the lake and caught almost 11 pounds. They caught most on topwater baits and that will probably be how we fish. We will try to find some good areas tomorrow and hope to catch 5 on Saturday. I appreciate all the replies!

TNReb

It is out of sanders ferry park. This is definitely more of our style. My partner went and fished that volunteer tourney just to see the lake and caught almost 11 pounds. They caught most on topwater baits and that will probably be how we fish. We will try to find some good areas tomorrow and hope to catch 5 on Saturday. I appreciate all the replies
Let us know how it goes. Did practice start today? I went out for a bit and there's Triton boats everywhere. Every hump around mid lake had somebody on it.

Tanelson43

Let us know how it goes. Did practice start today? I went out for a bit and there's Triton boats everywhere. Every hump around mid lake had somebody on it.
Yeah practice started today. We are heading that way in the morning to practice some. I will definitely post back in here how we do!

TNReb

3B77D8BC-A1A1-48BB-9C09-ABA9A34DDD95.jpeg

TNReb

I heard the winners were from North Carolina.

#10 is from Lebanon. I don't recognize the other names.

Unfortunately there was someone that passed away. An older gentleman was down for the tournament with his wife. I don't know the details, but he fell in the water Friday and a guy I know wound up doing CPR until the medics got there. He later got word that the man passed away. Sad.

TN Larry

I hadn't heard about the gentleman passing away. That is sad.

The guys in 2nd are from Smithville and both very good fisherman along with great guys. They have won several big tournaments on Old Hickory and barely slid under the $100k earnings rule. I had a buddy that fished that had a great day on Thursday with nearly 17 lbs but couldn't get them to bite today.

Latest posts