Old Federal #7.5 shot

Bigg E

Does anyone here have any experience with the old Federal 3" 2oz 7.5 turkey loads? I have a box and thought about seeing how they shoot in my sons' guns. I thought they would be good for 35 yards or less and might give them a little wiggle room if I can get a large dense pattern out of them.

Bigg E

My 13 yr old has an 835 and the 11 yr old has a 535. I have some Extended Range they will shoot on refuges but they will be hunting where they can shoot lead next weekend. I just thought the extra shot count might prevent a miss at close range since the Extened Range shoots pretty tight. I would rather teach them to call a turkey in close than get them caught up in patterns and 50 yard turkey guns.

Bigg E

I have a Mad Max, Jellyhead and a couple of others for the 835 since I have one myself. I only have an extended waterfowl choke for the 535 that is between a mod. and full which may shoot the Extended Range without being too tight. Did you kill any turkeys with the 7.5? I guess I am just a little skeptical of the smaller shot.

Bigg E

Yeah, they are the old gold box Federal Premium. I'm pretty sure the Mad Max is a .695 and the Jellyhead is .690.
I have to get out and shoot them this weekend and see what we have. I have lots of other shells but they are mostly 3.5" and I hate for them to shoot those, especially out of the 535. I shot a 2.25 oz Federal out of it and WOW, that thing is light and will jar your teeth. I may have to pick up some other loads or chokes next week for the 535.

Latest posts