Oklahoma 2022 Update & Pics

DeerCamp

3rd year in a row to do deer camp in OK with my brothers. Couldn't hunt the opener due to a wedding, and then last week was the only week we could all make it. Got back late sunday night - ended up being about a 10 hour drive with the camper.

Its a beautiful place - really unique chance to get to hunt almost 4,000 acres of very lightly hunted land. More than thankful to have the opportunity. We started out 3 years ago staying in a little shack with a wood burning stove. My brother brought his new camper this year. It was very nice, but I kinda missed the "roughing it" aspect of the previous hunts.

All total, I saw about 50 deer. Passed the 10 point in the trail cam pic below on the 2nd to last day, and saw another really good buck at the end of the powerlines but around 1000 yards away. Everything else was 2.5 or younger and does.

20221201_091851.jpg
20221201_143048.jpg

Coming in we had seen some really good bucks on camera, and a few others that had been killed on other parts of the ranch this year. Unfortunately, my camera died on 11/18 and we weren't able to get batteries in it until 11/29 so no telling what it missed.

1670011100203.jpg
1670011045601.jpg
1669906934811.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg
1670359305856.png

I ended up having to go hands and knees through a thicket to recover my younger brothers first doe, and in total we took 6 deer. 1 Buck and 5 does.

Here was my brothers buck. He shot it 3 minutes after first light on Saturday. The deer really recovered nicely from the drought, but this buck was still about 20-30 lbs less than would have been expected for his frame.

IMG_0373.jpg

Had this doe very close for over an hour. She never did bust me.
20221203_161222.jpg

Even though the rut was delayed by about a week from the rut, we still missed the flurry of activity by about 4 days according to others who were hunting the area. I personally saw no chasing and most does were grouped up in 5-6. What blew me away was how much the deer were eating. They were NEVER not out in the fields eating, just couldn't catch a mature buck doing the same thing.

We made lots of good food, drank a few too many beers once or twice and I ate tag soup again this year, though again, by choice.
Looks like plans for next year are already being made, and I will not miss the opener again if I can help it! We did all agree to meet there in March to build a couple box blinds, put out a bunch of cameras and do some food plot work. Glad I won't have to wait a whole year.

Finished the trip with few very poorly hit golf balls, and was sad to have to leave.
More than the hunting, I look forward to deer camp - just the chance to hang out with my brothers and check out for a bit.

Screenshot_20221204-114335_Photos.jpg

DeerCamp

Awesome trip! Def not all about killing one... but it sure is nice when you do! The more passed up this year will just make next year better
It was really hard to pass that buck from the trail cam photos, but he was clearly not mature. Even so, would have pushed 135-140.

Whether I see him next year or not, i think it was the right call. Just thinking about what he'll be sporting as a 4 year old is enough

AT Hiker

It was really hard to pass that buck from the trail cam photos, but he was clearly not mature. Even so, would have pushed 135-140.

Whether I see him next year or not, i think it was the right call. Just thinking about what he'll be sporting as a 4 year old is enough
Whatever, yo cheap butt didn't want to pay to have it mounted plus you were trying to one up your wife 😛

DeerCamp

Awesone trip and even better with family. Are you from Oklahoma what brought you to the area?
It's a long story, but my oldest brother moved there on a whim when he got back from his 2nd stint in Iraq. He retired and bought 40 acres on the internet sight unseen and kinda lived off grid for a few years. That was 15 or so years ago. The rest is history :)

Chickenrig

Reguarding the poorly hit golf balls::
I believe your back foot is moving on the backswing due to no cleats on them boots 🤪
Looks like a great time and beautiful country
Congrats to the killers in the bunch !!

Latest posts