Ok so it's dark, well past legal shooting/hunting time...

FTG-05

Ok so it's dark, well past legal shooting/hunting time, still in my hunting blind in the corner of my pole barn and the deer won't leave the field. Dinner is ready and it's time to go home.

How do you get the deer out of the field without spooking them or making it so they don't want to come back to that area?

Thanks,

catman529

Re: Ok so it's dark, well past legal shooting/hunting time..

Deer seem a lot more scared when you're trying to be sneaky vs when you just walk out into the open without paying them attention. I was hunting a thicket one evening and came out right at the end of shooting light to a cut field, walked across to the woods to get my climbing stand. Deer were in the field and ran off when I walked out, but I kept going. Got my climber off the tree, came back into the field and some of the deer had already come back out to feed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

catman529":2b54rh2h said:
Deer seem a lot more scared when you're trying to be sneaky vs when you just walk out into the open without paying them attention. I was hunting a thicket one evening and came out right at the end of shooting light to a cut field, walked across to the woods to get my climbing stand. Deer were in the field and ran off when I walked out, but I kept going. Got my climber off the tree, came back into the field and some of the deer had already come back out to feed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This ^^^^

Just get out of your blind and walk across the field nonchalantly. The deer will react less negatively than if you try to sneak around.

PillsburyDoughboy

FTG-05":1cxxvbjq said:
Ok so it's dark, well past legal shooting/hunting time, still in my hunting blind in the corner of my pole barn and the deer won't leave the field. Dinner is ready and it's time to go home.

How do you get the deer out of the field without spooking them or making it so they don't want to come back to that area?

Thanks,

I guess the big question is why are you still there past legal shooting /hunting time?
I just move as quickly, quietly and directly as I can when moving out of my blind/stand when I know deer are in the area. There is no way to totally avoid them. They are going to know you are there to some degree.

Associating DANGER VS hearing noise are two different things. Deer are use to hearing noise in the woods. Crunching of leaves and such. As others have said just make a break for it.

I read a hunting rag one time where a hunter talked about running through the woods to get to his stand in the AM because he felt like it simulated a running deer and made less noise over a shorter period of time. I about died laughing when I read the article. I could just see him actually doing it. Whats more I could actually see some reader sitting there contemplating running through the woods trying it. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

jb3

I've been in my stand (when hunting a field) past shooting time because of deer. It's easy. When the deer are there during shooting hours but you're waiting to see if a buck will come out to join the does, you will wait till the last minute of shooting. Especially now with the full moon.

Mike Belt

If you remain on stand and it gets dark you may not be able to tell whether the deer are still in the field or not. When that happens to me I try to be as quiet as I can when exiting and walk directly away from the field. They'll probably still notice you but I've found that deer don't pay as much attention to hunters moving in the dark as they do during daylight. I can't begin to count the times going in before light I've walked within feet of deer and they usually don't blow out of there if they run off at all.

Mike Belt

If you remain on stand and it gets dark you may not be able to tell whether the deer are still in the field or not. When that happens to me I try to be as quiet as I can when exiting and walk directly away from the field. They'll probably still notice you but I've found that deer don't pay as much attention to hunters moving in the dark as they do during daylight. I can't begin to count the times going in before light I've walked within feet of deer and they usually don't blow out of there if they run off at all.

csi-tech

I hit them with a super deep grunt. The bucks run for cover and the girls usually trot off behind them.

megalomaniac

PillsburyDoughboy":33aosice said:
I read a hunting rag one time where a hunter talked about running through the woods to get to his stand in the AM because he felt like it simulated a running deer and made less noise over a shorter period of time. I about died laughing when I read the article. I could just see him actually doing it. Whats more I could actually see some reader sitting there contemplating running through the woods trying it. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

FYI, this works really, really well. 30 years ago, that's exactly how I hunted after the morning sit. I'd change into tennis shoes and run as fast as I could safely could through the woods. I shot 10-15 bucks from the ground within 30 yards by running up on them. And what works even better, if you spook a deer walking, just run as fast as you can right after him. 99% of the time, they will run 50-100 yards, then stop and look back to see what the heck is going on. Bang, dead.... killed another 15 bucks doing that. Deer are curious creatures and act unpredictably to things they don't have experience with. Ofc, that was back when I was a teenager and could run forever it seemed.

As far as the OP, just wait till it's plenty dark, and just walk steadily at a diagonal direction past them. They'll bump and run off a bit, but it won't spook them for tomorrow's hunt. Just try not to let them see you actually getting out of the blind itself so they don't associate the blind with you. As long as they just see you crossing the field, you won't have a problem.

FTG-05

PillsburyDoughboy":1yddmowq said:
I guess the big question is why are you still there past legal shooting /hunting time?
I just move as quickly, quietly and directly as I can when moving out of my blind/stand when I know deer are in the area. There is no way to totally avoid them. They are going to know you are there to some degree.

[snip]

Waiting for the deer to leave, doh!

Happens pretty much every time I go, I'm used to it now. I'm just hoping for the big 10 point to come out, no luck yet.

What I do now, is just climb down as quietly as possible and then walk away on the opposite side where the deer usually are. Sometimes the spook, sometimes not. They seem to come back the next day, so no big loss.

I walked in the other day, got half way across the field and only then noticed that there was a deer in the field already. Successfully made it to the shooting house and climbed in and they never moved or apparently noticed.

I also have a problem with one of my cats stalking deer. I've seen it several times, but the last time I was able to take some pics of it happening. Not sure what I should do about that.....

Here are some of the pics:

In this pic, you can see my kitty to the right of the walnut tree in the center of the pic. The 6 point is to the left of the walnut, near the tree line in the background.
IMG_20151122_161526613%20Large_zpsrzngmgxm.jpg

This pic shows the deer reacting to my kitty, the kitty is just barely visible just right of the walnut. The deer just acted curious more than anything.
IMG_20151122_161648284%20Large_zpsigmg7ihl.jpg

Best pic I have of his rack:
IMG_20151122_163027502%20Large_zpscfpmcvfx.jpg

And he kept coming in, as you can see from this pic:
IMG_20151122_163447395_HDR%20Large_zpsvshzlngy.jpg

AXL78

The biggest problem is it's going to probably bother you more than them. Lol They'll come back. I'm the same way though. It bothers me to no end to spook em like that.

MUP

Should've already had one of them shot and back to the house! :D j/k Yea, that happens when you hunt diligently. Seems I'm always walking out of the woods in the dark. ;)

UTGrad

I walk out like I own the place and pay the deer no attention. As mentioned before deer are more spooked when someone is acting sneaky vs someone just busting out into the open.

Latest posts