Ok Mr. Big and others I need some iron sight help

Bar7mag

I have been really interested in killing some deer this year with iron sights. I shot today and at 50 yards I really shot horrible couldn't hit a paper plate size target. I do wear glasses and don't have the best eyesight. However at the 25 yard mark I could shoot 5 bullets all really close to each other. Went back to 50 yards and same story. This was with two different rifles so I know it has to be me. I could also shoot clay targets consistently at 50 yards but it just seemed so much easier aiming at the clay than the little bulls eye. Do you think I should have started out maybe at 50 yards shooting something like a pie plate instead of a bulls eye? I would love to do some reading on iron sight shooting. I have read a little and it said to really focus on making your front sight and the target clear and let your back sight be fuzzy is that correct form? Do you cover your bulls eye with your front sight or is a 6 o clock hold right underneath the bullseye preferred. Should I maybe order a peep sight? Any help or info greatly appreciated.

Wobblyshot1

Assuming your iron sights are zeroed...

Find intended target. Take a breath, let out a little and hold. Align sights and and maintain upon target. Your focus is always on the front sight.

Begin squeezing trigger. Don't pull, snatch, or jerk. Maintain sight alignment on target.

Steady squeezing of the trigger will result in a controlled sear engagement release. BOOM....the bullets is on its way. Maintain sight alignment on target. At this point it's called follow through.

Surprise....you just hit the target where you were holding the sights.

Pretty basic but it works. Older eyes might be helped by using a peep rear sight.

One last thing......practice.

mr.big

if you are using a post front and notch rear,I have better luck with a six hold and adjust the sights to hit center,,I focus only on the front sight and leave the bull fuzzy and try and leave just a little white showing between the top of post and bottom of bull..

for deer hunting fairly close a big ghost ring and a bead front might work better,,

Bar7mag

Thanks guys gonna break out the pellet rifle and practice some. My dad always taught me to take the very top of the front post and put it in the bottom of the v in the back. It looks like people online recommend taking the entire front post and filling the v so it lines up straight across which do you recommend?

FULLDRAWXX75

I was always taught the "pumkin on the post" method as Mr. Big has discribed. I have a difficult time with a V notch rear sight, but when I went to a rear peep, things came together nicely.
I have an old Savage 99 that was given to me by my late uncle that was set up with a tang peep, that is all he ever hunted with for yrs. I did not want to change anything on the gun, so I put in my time at the bench and after a few sessions, I was putting bullet holes into a 2" circle at 100 yds. Time, patients and practice.......................
A peep may help greatly.

FDXX75

Bar7mag

Thanks full draw for the advice. I guess more range time first then if things don't improve I will try a peep. Both of these guns I was shooting have really short barrels. One was a ruger 44 mag carbine and the other was a Winchester ranger 30-30. I also had my old single barrel Winchester 22 model 60 a and I could hit a lot better at 50 yards with it but I have shot it all my life.

Plateau Hunter

I would look into a peep sight aka a receiver sight as made by Williams, Lyman, and at least formerly Redfield. You will be able to shoot much better than with conventional iron sights.

1 good shot

don't aim too long
the longer you try to to hold it on target before shooting the more likely you are to start drifting
take time to get used to the gun and shoot for fun before you try to be an alvin york
once you learn the "feel of the gun" your accuracy will improve
it will be like tying your shoes- the muscle memory will do everything for you and you can focus on the other factors involved. this is especially true when hunting
when you have to focus on clear shot, being quiet, getting into shooting position without spooking the game and everything else
practice on small targets
when my dad was teaching me to shoot he would set up old shotgun hulls up for me to shoot at and told me when i could hit 5 with 5 shots i would be ready to go hunting with him

Latest posts