Ohio hunting

Trey13

Yeah it was from same county as my property. Not far at all. If it's where I think, my place is close enough to be in his range. Deer like that aren't terribly uncommon here. Several each year are taken. If i recall correctly, Ross County was was in the top 5 counties in the country last season for tagged booners.
Have a pic of him?

Shed Hunter

This is "OG"

They estimated him to be the next world record. I think a guy by the name of Matt Beard bought that years set of sheds for $7000

Attachments

• CABA0AA0-5F25-4E99-AB81-694BF3FB6105.png
    CABA0AA0-5F25-4E99-AB81-694BF3FB6105.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 70

DIRTTRAX

This is "OG"

They estimated him to be the next world record. I think a guy by the name of Matt Beard bought that years set of sheds for $7000
He was big but that's high fence for you I guess. I think they were just letting him get to world record status then the chad dude was going to be filmed killing a world record by the company he worked for. Cant Remember the company name but it was a hunting outfit. Of course then his buddy called him out and his career was done.

DIRTTRAX

Oh yeah different deer and different story than I was thinking about. Holy crap that there was a fiasco!
Especially when they proved his 192 inch deer was fake a d his 213inch deer came of the deer farm. There was several people involved and they were planing it all out. Before the company took down all the videos there was one that he lets that deer walk when it was estimated to be 190ish. Huge red flag 😆

Shed Hunter

Especially when they proved his 192 inch deer was fake a d his 213inch deer came of the deer farm. There was several people involved and they were planing it all out. Before the company took down all the videos there was one that he lets that deer walk when it was estimated to be 190ish. Huge red flag 😆
I was under the impression it was a fair chase deer and he made claims to have it on camera 20 miles from where the other residents of Chillicothe had pictures

batten_down

Yall got a link to read up on? It actually might be the deer I'm thinking of. I just never knew the extent of the story. Now I'm curious lol
Here ya go...

But it's a doozy. If you think our seek 1 thread is bad, this one's 250+ pages.

Ski

Phew, what a mess lol. I know the area well and grew up very near the Double D Ranch. I don't know the guy in question though. I'll have to ask around. Should make for an entertaining conversation at the bar!

batten_down

Phew, what a mess lol. I know the area well and grew up very near the Double D Ranch. I don't know the guy in question though. I'll have to ask around. Should make for an entertaining conversation at the bar!
It's an entertaining read. Talk about a crash and burn. Not quite on par with the walleye cheaters, but close.

Shed Hunter

It's an entertaining read. Talk about a crash and burn. Not quite on par with the walleye cheaters, but close.
I can't remember from way back then or maybe stopped reading before it ended but was the deer ever confirmed fair chase? I remember seeing the guy bought the sheds and I've seen some of his sheds on other antler pages before

Ski

Yeah no kidding. That ranch is in my old stomping grounds. Everybody knows everybody. I've not lived there in 25yrs buy I visit a lot and always hit up the bar next to the ranch. I know the bar owner well. He'll fill me in on the gossip. I'm in Ohio right now so maybe tomorrow night I could go for a game of pool.

Totally not the deer I was thinking of. That wasn't actually Chillicothe, or even same county. It's nearby but not nearby enough to be considered Chillicothe.

batten_down

I can't remember from way back then or maybe stopped reading before it ended but was the deer ever confirmed fair chase? I remember seeing the guy bought the sheds and I've seen some of his sheds on other antler pages before
Depends on who you believe. Not sure there was any real evidence one way or another. But most believe it was high fence. The original guy in question was confirmed to hunt high fence and disappeared after getting called out on that. So it was a natural leap to make for most. Shame, because it was an awesome deer. And that area is definitely capable of producing bucks of similar caliber.

batten_down

Yeah no kidding. That ranch is in my old stomping grounds. Everybody knows everybody. I've not lived there in 25yrs buy I visit a lot and always hit up the bar next to the ranch. I know the bar owner well. He'll fill me in on the gossip. I'm in Ohio right now so maybe tomorrow night I could go for a game of pool.

Totally not the deer I was thinking of. That wasn't actually Chillicothe, or even same county. It's nearby but not nearby enough to be considered Chillicothe.
That area has been on my radar for 15-20 years. I have never hunted it, but have two different army buddies that live near there. One in Chillicothe. And another in the piketon Waverly area. This thread was going on shortly after we returned from deployment when we were all making plans to get up there and hunt. Sadly, it never panned out. But that's how I ended up following the thread as it was happening.

Ski

I have no clue about that particular deer but it wouldn't surprise me either way. My brother's property is just a couple miles from the DD ranch and he gets some bruisers on cam. The genetics are there. Notice the buck in the right two pics especially. It's got a lot of the same characteristics with splits and stickers. I don't recall the exact score but it was in the 200" ballpark. It was 110% fair chase wild, and not especially big for the area. It's huge no doubt, but there are much bigger taken every year in that area. So the guy's story theoretically could be true, although with his history of deceit I'd have to question it.

Attachments

• 37921.jpeg
    37921.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181218_124036.jpg
    20181218_124036.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20171119_161509.jpg
    20171119_161509.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171119_161451.jpg
    20171119_161451.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 39

Ski

That area has been on my radar for 15-20 years. I have never hunted it, but have two different army buddies that live near there. One in Chillicothe. And another in the piketon Waverly area. This thread was going on shortly after we returned from deployment when we were all making plans to get up there and hunt. Sadly, it never panned out. But that's how I ended up following the thread as it was happening.

My place is just south of Chillicothe on the old canal road that connects Chillicothe and Waverly. My brother's property is in Allensville, same little village as the DD ranch. This area produces ginormous deer and always has. They're not easy to find but they do actually exist, not just a wild goose chase.

Latest posts