Ohio Deer Hunting

RobDooley

Plan on hunting new lease in Ohio. Only "straight walled cartridges" for rifles. Anyone hunt Ohio with a rifle that shoots this type of round? I have a semi-auto 12 gauge slug gun but I think I would rather hunt with a rifle. .350 Legend; .450 Bushmaster; .444 Marlin to name of few. Any experience and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Arrowslanger

I bought a 350 legend for the kids to use as they get up on age to start hunting. The idea of less recoil/similar recoil and larger bullet diameter than 243 drew me to it. I think I'll end up picking it over my bigger guns as I just don't shoot long distances. I would personally love to have a 450 one day. Ammo for 350 in normal times is half of the 450 though. Yet to put to use yet though or I'd have more to offer.

DaveB

The 45/70 has a pretty good track record.

A policeman friend of mine shoots a 450 and I must admit it looks impressive.

The legend recoil is or at least appears to be more manageable

I thought the straightwall calibers were listed by name as approved in Ohio? Not just the straightwall name?

RobDooley

The 45/70 has a pretty good track record.

A policeman friend of mine shoots a 450 and I must admit it looks impressive.

The legend recoil is or at least appears to be more manageable

I thought the straightwall calibers were listed by name as approved in Ohio? Not just the straightwall name?
Yes, I think you are correct. Thanks for the response. Based on availability of firearms and ammo, I may be hunting with my muzzleloader.

RobDooley

There is a lot of discussion with regard to hunting whitetails with a 350 Legend in Ohio on the internet. Several include email responses from the Ohio DNR or whatever confirming that it is in fact legal. They need to be more specific in their hunting guide/regulations. I will call/email and get a written response before I purchase one...that is if I can find one and AMMO! Thanks to all for your response.

PickettSFHunter

There is a lot of discussion with regard to hunting whitetails with a 350 Legend in Ohio on the internet. Several include email responses from the Ohio DNR or whatever confirming that it is in fact legal. They need to be more specific in their hunting guide/regulations. I will call/email and get a written response before I purchase one...that is if I can find one and AMMO! Thanks to all for your response.
Yeah it would sure be a lot easier if the 350LGND was .357. I really like all of mine though, seems to be perfect for my every day woods hunting deer or night hunting hogs. I've shot about every bullet out there and settled on 125 gr Makers or 125 gr Hammers, have to reload but the pure copper really performs and gets some velocity in the lighter weights. For factory loads, I liked the 170 Hornadys the best.

Jmed

.350 legend is legal in OH. I bought a cheap one just to rifle hunt there a couple years ago. The round is fine for dropping deer. I dropped one at 100 yards and he ran 15. I was surprised on the accuracy of the round out of the cheap little gun. (mossberg Patriot bantam)

rodeojoe

I had a 458 WM one year hear in TN that I used.
It was wicked and fun hitting Whitetail's with it.
I did once have a doe go about 20 yards after hitting it.
Looked like she ran thru the woods with a 5 gallon bucket of blood sloshing out the whole thing in the 20 yards.
It was a Ruger bolt gun. I handloaded it so the ammo was not that costly to shoot.

RobDooley

I had a 458 WM one year hear in TN that I used.
It was wicked and fun hitting Whitetail's with it.
I did once have a doe go about 20 yards after hitting it.
Looked like she ran thru the woods with a 5 gallon bucket of blood sloshing out the whole thing in the 20 yards.
It was a Ruger bolt gun. I handloaded it so the ammo was not that costly to shoot.
I guess...the 458 win mag is the most popular elephant cartridge in the world.

Latest posts