• Help Support TNDeer:

Oh the joy of DEF.

UT-longbeard

DEF fluid quality light came on in the duramax yesterday causing the truck to go into limp mode. Dealer called and said water was in the fluid. $500 plus tax to drop tank, drain fluid, flush system and refill. Pain in the rear end.

dr

UT-longbeard":361rbz35 said:
DEF fluid quality light came on in the duramax yesterday causing the truck to go into limp mode. Dealer called and said water was in the fluid. $500 plus tax to drop tank, drain fluid, flush system and refill. Pain in the rear end.
Delete that crap...

Mattt

I have read that people buy and return def to Walmart filled with water. I’ve had different issues so I only use blue def from a sealed container. The truck stop def pumps are filled with contaminants I won’t buy it at the pump either

BULL MOOSE

Def sensor in my wife’s Mercedes went bad so I now have a yellow check engine litigant on that will just stay on. I probably ruined it by running it so low. I now keep it full with fresh product. Smells great!

mike243

My son deleted it on his 1/2 ton dodge, gets better mileage also, he is getting 25 running 70+ on the big roads

Uncle Jesse

Gravey":3p7mynqw said:
My 06 F250 doesn’t require that crap and I’ve been contemplating a newer one or the Nissan Titan XD but all now have the DEF required. I hate it. Sorry about your luck.

Nissan dropped the diesel option for 2020

Gravey

Uncle Jesse":uc57ozej said:
Gravey":uc57ozej said:
My 06 F250 doesn’t require that crap and I’ve been contemplating a newer one or the Nissan Titan XD but all now have the DEF required. I hate it. Sorry about your luck.

Nissan dropped the diesel option for 2020
Yep that’s correct but pretty sure Cummins dropped them. I was looking at 18’s or 19’s but hanging on to mine a while longer.

Huntaholic

The true joy of DEF is when you delete that ****, along with the EGR, do a computer reprogram, and a cold air intake. Its like Im driving a different truck now. Yeah, its gonna cost you 2K or so but its worth every cent!

Remington700

I have a 2018 Duramax and DEF is a pain in the tail. Chevrolet also put the DEF refill in the worst place imaginable. I love my L5P engine but hate DEF.

jlanecr500

Supporter
I have a 17 RAM 2500 getting a solid 19 mpg and I would rather retain my powertrain warranty than have extra ponies to destroy my transmission. I buy my DEF at Ruralking for half the price of Blue def. If the container is unsealed, do not pour it in.

Mattt

The container the cheap def comes in is easy to manipulate. That’s why I buy the brand I do with the sealed cardboard. Easier to tell if it’s been manipulated. Gonna delete my 17 Ford now that warranty is out, but gonna keep factory tune. U don’t have to run the high horse high torque tune. Lots of options open up with the tuner.and I get about 10 mpg all the time with the gearing I have in the ole dually

backyardtndeer

Went to add blue def to my truck, had half about a gallon leftover in a box from the last time I filled it. Opened the lid and it was crusty with floaties in it. The unused had set in my basement for about a month and half in controlled humidity and temp in the 60's. Is this normal?

Obviously I didn't use it, glad I saw it.

Mattt

Yea normal for def. my ongoing research has me convinced if I open the container and don’t use it all I’ll throw it out. I work nationwide and deal with a lot of equipment and a lot of mechanics-service guys. They pretty much all day the same. I’ve also been told not to buy it at the pump. Contamination from road grime/ salt/etc is a death sentence for def systems

Huntaholic

I have a 17 RAM 2500 getting a solid 19 mpg and I would rather retain my powertrain warranty than have extra ponies to destroy my transmission. I buy my DEF at Ruralking for half the price of Blue def. If the container is unsealed, do not pour it in.
I felt exactly the same way as you, right up until I was 2 weeks from an out of country trip in a vehicle with less than 50K miles on it and it started popping emission codes related to DEF. I took it to my dealer and the service guy agreed that SOME parts of the emission system are covered under warranty but some aren't and the only way to figure it out is to first, let it start throwing codes again, (I had them cleared) then start throwing parts at it. At this point he looked around, leaned over the counter and said: "DELETE THAT ****!" And that's exactly what I did. I couldn't afford to wait around for it to mess up again, I dang sure didn't want to be in BFE Canada and have it go into limp mode or worse, so it got gutted. As far as the extra hp and torque, my program has multiple settings, all of which I can change from the drivers seat as Im going down the road. You don't HAVE to run it at anything above a stock factory setting if you don't want to.

jlanecr500

Supporter
I felt exactly the same way as you, right up until I was 2 weeks from an out of country trip in a vehicle with less than 50K miles on it and it started popping emission codes related to DEF. I took it to my dealer and the service guy agreed that SOME parts of the emission system are covered under warranty but some aren't and the only way to figure it out is to first, let it start throwing codes again, (I had them cleared) then start throwing parts at it. At this point he looked around, leaned over the counter and said: "DELETE THAT ****!" And that's exactly what I did. I couldn't afford to wait around for it to mess up again, I dang sure didn't want to be in BFE Canada and have it go into limp mode or worse, so it got gutted. As far as the extra hp and torque, my program has multiple settings, all of which I can change from the drivers seat as Im going down the road. You don't HAVE to run it at anything above a stock factory setting if you don't want to.
I agree. My truck is at 40k right now and if it starts giving trouble that the warranty doesn't cover, I'll do the same.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.