Officially Over

Mike Belt

My last stand went back to the shed today, all my gear is unpacked and put away, the wheeler is parked in the garage, and my rifle is cleaned and back in the safe. Not until that is done am I officially through for the season... and it's done. I haven't made it to the woods in 2018. I'm still thawing out from my last trip the end of December. I can't say this has been one of my better seasons. Surgery prevented hunting during archery and muzzleloader. I didn't get to start until after rifle opener. I never got to do much scouting. I picked up a few nice bucks on camera but no biggies. I saw a couple of nice bucks that would have been legal per our size limits but they just didn't impress me enough to squeeze the trigger. I put a couple of deer in the freezer. I didn't see many deer when I did hunt and saw 0 rutting action around my stand sites. I did make it to the woods a few times though and that's enough to be thankful about. Now to wait out the next 9 months or so for it to roll around again. Hopefully I'll fare better next time.

duckduck84

Packed up my gear last night. I had a fleeting temptation to go out this evening one last time, but I just made the decision to be done with it. I had a decent season, but all our bucks seemed to disappear after late November so I never had a chance at anything with antlers since.

I'll be buying a muzzleloader and getting ready for next year to help my odds. Late December and January hunting just aren't much fun.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

I've still got another 6 weeks here in South MS (although Feb hunting usually isn't that good). Since I quit archery hunting years ago, I've found that I'm not burned out one bit by Jan. My wife bought me a smoker for Christmas, so I need another deer to try out. In fact, I hunted this morn before church. Saw a slick fat doe, but she had twins and I don't need the meat bad enough to orphan the little guys
Besides, I'm still hoping a big stinky comes by

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

ImThere

I mentally packed it in week of thanksgiving. My stuff is still in the truck. Need to get off my bit and clean it and put it away. I really don't think I will go next week at all. Time to get ready for Georgia Pig hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elknturkey

Best part is just getting ready to start. Shed hunting!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DMD

Got my clothes all washed and put up. Changed scope on muzzle loader. Got my sxs in garage, but it needs to be washed and guns cleaned before I'm done. And, camper top off my truck. But, now is inventory time! Taking inventory via trail cameras of next years potential crop! That, along with shed hunting, is pretty exciting.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

TX300mag

I considered going back this week for antlerless in Unit L and youth hunt, but ended up sick this week so I guess I'm done. I had planned on hunting a couple of days on the way back from Ohio firearm, but my wife and kids were sick so I came straight back to TX.

I guess come to think of it my last deer hunt in TN was with my daughter on opening day of gun season.

I guess I should start planning next season. :D

Life at 20'

Well I took the last 4 days of the season off and was forced to lay in bed with the flu and strep throat, it sucked!
It was a awful season for me as I let 5 small bucks and a handful of doe's walk, in search of a GOOD un, but he never gave me a shot but I did see 2 real nice one's and hopefully they made it thru the season. My freezer is completely empty so its gonna be a long summer.

Matador

Brought the camper, generator and four wheelers home today. Will take 2-3 days getting it cleaned and stored. Just killed one heavy body 6 pointer. Took two of the strongest young guys to load it. Passed several smaller bucks waiting on a bigger one. I was passing younger bucks before they ever cut us to two bucks so don't crow about the 2 buck limit WORKING LOL. My son got an 8 pt and a doe so we have plenty of meat. Hate to see it end. I hunted all but about 8 days at least part of each day. Took off Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Dr. Appointment. Did a two day stress test and passed it. Already looking forward to this coming year.

csi-tech

The new UTV is in the garage and my rifle is stored away until next season. My muzzleloader got drenched in a rain storm and it took forever to disassemble and get de-rusted. That happens over a matter of minutes. All clean now.

Mike Belt

That's 257 days minus those between squirrel opener and archery opener that rank up there among the worst about hunting at Ames. We're not allowed to step foot on the place until then. No shed hunting. No post season scouting. No post season or summer time cameras. And, we're required to have all our stands removed within a week after season closes. Bummer.

plinker22

Mike Belt":3fecmqbp said:
That's 257 days minus those between squirrel opener and archery opener that rank up there among the worst about hunting at Ames. We're not allowed to step foot on the place until then. No shed hunting. No post season scouting. No post season or summer time cameras. And, we're required to have all our stands removed within a week after season closes. Bummer.

Wow. CruellaDaVille running Ames? :D :D

TheLBLman

Somewhat a relief to me that deer season is finally over :D

Mike, I believe I'd enjoy being an Ames Club member,
but that does suck about having so little time allowed on the property outside deer season.
I like to spend much of my year-round time on the same properties I deer hunt.