Off-Road Recovery Fatality lessons learned

TRIGGER

When I was a kid a truck ended up it the ditch in front of the house somehow. I was curious so I watched. Someone tried to pull it out with a chain and the chain ended up busting the windshield but thankfully didn’t hurt anyone. I have never forgotten that.

Ed B

Spent a ton of time in my younger years off-road and rock crawling. Then only thing a chain should be used for is weigh down a row rope or winch cable. I’d put a chain on any tow rope, even the non-stretch ones as I’ve seen those snap with some severe sling shot action.

jlanecr500

Good info. What gets people in trouble is slacking the cable or chain and then jerk the slack out with the pulling truck, in hopes of snatching the stuck truck free. It's much safer to winch and if needed, double winch. I changed my winch over to rope years ago.

Popcorn

Supporter
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Thats trippy!
4 years ago was spreading compost on a certain TN Preds player (married to a certain country music star) KY hunting property and found a wet spot and buried a 36,000 lb truck on a steep hill. Ende up with a large 4X4 tractor chained to it with me in the drivers seat when the big excavation grade chain broke the clevis at the tractor and came for my head. With Gods will I was leaning left as the hook and clevis came thru the windshield, broke the dash and bent the steering wheel and busted the rear glass just over my right shoulder. Gods hand, thats all that could have saved me. Saw it all in slo mo, no way I moved fast enough to get out of the way

always hang anothher chain across the tow chain as the weight will take the tow chain to the ground rather than your head

TNTreeman

Supporter
We get stuck a lot in the winter. I’ve done some dumb stuff for sure but trying to teach my boys better. I’m guilty of using a hitch as a pulling point but I’m a big fan of tow straps and using a “ dead man” or a big heavy blanket over the strap just in case. Still need to be more careful.

Tenntrapper

Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and do very little "un-stucking of vehicles", but even I could look at that drop mount and know not to attach that far off the horizontal line. (If that made sense). That would put to much leverage on that joint....think of a cheater bar.

Prayers for the family

TAFKAP

The reliance on cheap Chinese crap for any structural application blows my mind. The Jeep Jewelry crowd will pin off the dinkiest crap and call it good. Then they put on a Chinese shackle that'll just shatter on them.

If your recovery gear isn't MADE IN THE USA, you're exposing yourself to catastrophic failure.

TAFKAP

If you have gold chain in your truck, never use it for anything besides strapping a load down to a trailer.
If you have a ratty nylon strap in the back of your truck, throw it away.
If your shackles are Made in China, they're crap and will shatter or deform below the rated break strength

Huckfin

Supporter
Terrible accident, prayers for the family.

Thanks for sharing, I wouldnt have thought of the all the different weight tolerances but hearing him explain it makes perfect sense.

backyardtndeer

Terrible that happened.

Good video. Have used chains and straps to pull out many vehicles and equipment in the past without any incidents or issues, guess we were lucky. Had actually been considering getting a weighted line cover for my winch.

Latest posts