Oddball caliber

Jcalder

Guy at work has bought a 257x6.5 rifle. Tried to reload for it and the bolt stuck on the first shot. After getting the case out I checked it out and it looks like it's been improved. Not sure if they went the ackley route or another. Anyone ever fooled with something like this. It's basically a 7x57 Mauser necked down to 6.5. Barrel is stamped 257x65. Gun is an arisaka. Brass was 7x57 Mauser ppu. Medium load of imr4831 shooting a 120 prohunter.
81c46a75075dad714deff94923b0a424.jpg
one on the left is the fired case. Right is a 7mauser necked down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcalder

markwondi":czedxqth said:
It's most likely a 6.5x257 AI, however the shoulder reminds me of a Weatherby cartridge a little bit.
I feel the same way. I'm trying to find some specs but I'm finding nothing but old threads talking about the caliber.

Plateau Hunter

Lots of Arisakas were rechambered to 6.5/257 after WWII because of the lack of 6.5 ammo. It was a simple straightforward rechambering but that chamber was obviously 'improved' radically which was not an improvement at all! A setback and rechamber or rebarreling is the only remedy imo. But also not worth it; however I have thrown money down ratholes myself...

DaveB

Surprised you got that bolt unstuck.

The chamber is not 6.5x257 so until that discrepancy is corrected I would not load or fire the rifle under any circumstances.

The earlier post "rechamber or rebarreling is the only remedy imo" is the real solution.

tndanny

Jcalder":3bd8t1ak said:
markwondi":3bd8t1ak said:
It's most likely a 6.5x257 AI, however the shoulder reminds me of a Weatherby cartridge a little bit.
I feel the same way. I'm trying to find some specs but I'm finding nothing but old threads talking about the caliber.

Most likely will get you hurt or killed !

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jcalder

tndanny":eta3m9ly said:
Jcalder":eta3m9ly said:
markwondi":eta3m9ly said:

Most likely will get you hurt or killed !

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
it was an eye opening experience. I doubt I fool with someone else's gun anymore. The problem is the gun was marked. I don't fault the guy I was helping but the one who changed the caliber is liable I feel.

lapuafan

Jason, is the bolt out of time ? This will cause the bolt to stick. But with dead hammer Lil bump it should come loose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tndanny

Bad habit":i5f3zadh said:
Definitely remember or rebarrel! No telling what else was done to that barrel
What does barrel have to do with bolt sticking ? Am I missing something ?

Jcalder

I doubt the bolt is out of time. It honestly looks from the cast we done that someone tried to drill the chamber out with a drill bit. The guy that owns the guns has got a different but he's not sure it'll work. At this point I'm trying to stay out of it lol

lapuafan

Jcalder":33r3neir said:
I doubt the bolt is out of time. It honestly looks from the cast we done that someone tried to drill the chamber out with a drill bit. The guy that owns the guns has got a different but he's not sure it'll work. At this point I'm trying to stay out of it lol

Well I'm telling you from experience if the bolt is out time it will cause this. I just went through this my new smokeless .

Jcalder

lapuafan":35t8hmpq said:
Jcalder":35t8hmpq said:

Well I'm telling you from experience if the bolt is out time it will cause this. I just went through this my new smokeless .

I loaded 10 rounds doing load development. Everything went in like it should. I fired the first round and the bolt hung. The problem is someone altered the original case. What they really done is speculation. I searched several days, called a few people that specialized in customs dies and got no where. Measuring the fired case and one ran thru the die as well as comparing book drawings and the fired case had swelled way too far up the case to the shoulder. Not to mention the shoulder itself. Regardless, in its current condition, it's not safe to shoot.

Latest posts