October marsh, round 2

megalomaniac

HARD falling tide all morning long, just KNEW we were going to kill them today.

Went to the first spot where we caught a nice red last weekend... nothing. 2nd spot we caught 4 reds last weekend... nothing

Ventured into a small bayou we have never fished and picked up a 25in red, so we hung around for another 30 min... nothing. 10,000 gnats eating us alive, so we ran down to the next bayou and I lost my PB flounder at the boat... had to be 19in. Still sick. Next unnamed bayou had so many gnats, we named it 'Natty Bayou' and we managed 30 min in there before we threw up the white flag with no fish to show for it. Dead calm, so we fired up the big motor and ran in the gulf to a huge bayou with insane current dumping into the sound looking for trout... nothing.

Ran to the next bayou up and nothing at the mouth, but I could hear reds sucking around the bend. Worked our way against the falling tide and found scattered reds gobbling up blue crabs, but couldn't get but 2 to bite our jigs.

Hit some deep cuts with current in 4 or 5 other spots looking for trout, but could only find some shorts.

Told my buddy I wanted to try a bayou WAY out of the way where other boats can't get to ant just too far for any kayaker to reach. We headed there and got back in the skinny water... and heard and saw reds rushing minnows on the bank. In that last spot sightfishing, we caught 4 more nice reds, lost another 2, and spooked at least a dozen.... all in 18in of water or less. Some of the most fun I've ever had fishing... sightfishing reds!

Over all a wonderful day, we kept 4 reds around 23 to 25in for supper between our families, let the rest go, and are becoming optimistic we are figuring out this marsh... at least for reds. Dang keeper specks are still a mystery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221030-180612_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-180612_Gallery.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20221030-180638_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-180638_Gallery.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts