Oak id

Smoke

I was thinking chestnut oak but tree doesn't have deep grooved bark like pics I've seen online. Swamp chestnut and chinkapin are similar leaf shape so I have no idea. Only tree like this on property.
IMG_20210920_150634256.jpg
IMG_20210920_150616429.jpg
IMG_20210920_150610668.jpg

tree_ghost

I've seen a few of these the last couple weeks. I don't what they are either. Interested to see what they are from some more knowledgeable arborist…

Smoke

Looks Chestnut Oaky to me. Has more "lobes" along the leaf edges than would expect to see with either White or Swamp White. The rather pointy tip kinda' throws me.

How about a Swamp Chestnut Oak?

Is that a Kingsport tree?
Out in Gray

Rollo

I say Chinq. I have a bunch growing on my ridgeline, somewhat elevated. Mine don't get very big though. Deer love the acorns though

4scout

I'm thinking Chinkapin too. Chestnut oaks are more rounded on the tips of the leaves, not pointy, and the tree bark doesn't look like that picture. I see an acorn in that first picture and it's small ... chestnuts also have large acorns. I have several chestnut oaks in my yard. The acorns on chinkapins I've seen are rather small.

Hawk103161

I've seen a few of these the last couple weeks. I don't what they are either. Interested to see what they are from some more knowledgeable arborist…
There is an app. Called "Picture This". Its an awesome app. Just snap a picture and it looks it up. It's about 98% accurate. A good steady picture is all that's needed. I highly recommend this app..... Disclaimer: " I ain't getting squat for this endorsement".....peace....Hawk

Latest posts