Normal?

tn24

I started using lithium batteries about three years ago. They do last longer but seem like they go from 100 percent to dead in my cameras. Is it my cameras or it that just lithium batteries work that way? I've missed a lot of pictures because of this.

Andy S.

That is how lithium batteries work, basically little to no warning as the voltage drops in a hurry to completely dead in a few days. Just like lithium batteries on cordless drills etc. Many camera users are used to a slow gradual voltage drop over time with alkaline batteries. Essentially, lithiums go from 100%, to 90%, to 60%, to dead over a few days. Furthermore, most trail camera battery meters cannot/do not accurately display lithium battery voltage/percent left. Get you a $20 volt meter from hardware store if you care to accurately measure lithium battery voltage to estimate how much life is in them. 1.7-1.8 volts brand new, then almost dead at 1.5 volts.

tree_ghost

That is how lithium batteries work, basically little to no warning as the voltage drops in a hurry to completely dead in a few days. Just like lithium batteries on cordless drills etc. Many camera users are used to a slow gradual voltage drop over time with alkaline batteries. Essentially, lithiums go from 100%, to 90%, to 60%, to dead over a few days. Furthermore, most trail camera battery meters cannot/do not accurately display lithium battery voltage/percent left. Get you a $20 volt meter from hardware store if you care to accurately measure lithium battery voltage to estimate how much life is in them. 1.7-1.8 volts brand new, then almost dead at 1.5 volts.
As good an explanation as youll find Anywhere

tn24

Thanks for the info. I may just change them every six months. Seems like they quit working between seven and eight months. I've got a battery tester that shows if a battery is dead or weak and it seems when I check the lithium batteries from my trail cameras a couple will be dead and the rest will still show good. The ones that still show good I put in clocks and remotes and they last a long time in them.

BSK

Recommendations on brand/type of battery tester that is most accurate for lithiums?

And once again, thanks for explaining this "lithium" anomaly.

Safari Hunt

I have 18V One+ lithium batteries for my Ryobi tools and lawn equipment. Yes, they quit all at once. I had another brand of weed trimmer and the batteries would start to slow down when running out. Mr? I prefer the lithium as it will run full until dead. FWIW, with the trimmer, I get 12-13 minutes per battery.

Andy S.

I just pulled some Energizer Lithium batteries out of a cellular camera that has been out in field for a month or so. I tested their voltage. They were all up near 1.8 volts just as this discharge profile shows. When they get down near 1.45 volts, they die almost instantly. Basically all or nothing if you will.
L91_voltage.JPG

BSK

You Da MAN Andy S! I'm going to get that tester and try some of my lithiums on cameras that have been running for about 8 months on video that keep saying 96% battery life on the camera. I bet they're not really doing that well. I can't imagine how they could be after taking hundreds and hundreds of videos, many at night.

Andy S.

^^^ I'll be anxious to hear what voltage they are currently at. As you stated, 8 months on video mode has to have taken a toll on them. Were they out during the extreme cold in February?

BSK

^^^ I'll be anxious to hear what voltage they are currently at. As you stated, 8 months on video mode has to have taken a toll on them. Were they out during the extreme cold in February?
Nope. They ran August through mid-January last season, and then hit the field again in June of this year. But they've been riding "96% battery" indicator for a very, very long time! I have trouble believing that.

BSK

Checked oldest lithium AAs per Andy S.' advice, and most were in the 1.65-1.66 volt range. Worst set were 1.60-1.61 volts. Based off Andy S.' graph, those batteries are around 2/3 of the way through their lifespan. I will probably change them in late October, just before peak of season.

Latest posts